Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting a new buddy for my chin  (Read 813 times)

Macrotis

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: One cutie
    • View Profile
Getting a new buddy for my chin
« on: July 09, 2013, 02:40:09 PM »

Greetings!

Since my beloved chin Gaia died a week ago due to teeth elongation, my bf got me a new chinchilla, which I named Ari. She is 6 months old girl and the taming process is still going slow. Acording to the previous experience I had with Gaia, it took me 3 months to gain her trust, so I got all the patience it takes :)

The thing is, I would love to get her a new fuzzy friend but I am unsure of some things. Would it be better if I get her a girl or a boy chin, considering that I wouldn't like to have baby chinchillas. And also, what would be the best way to make them work? Is it okay to get her a bit younger chin or should it be about the same age?

I never had more than one chin so I don't quite know how to make the introduction. I assume it wouldn't be the wisest to put them in the same cage immediately, since Ari lived alone for quite a time, and I believe she is not used to live in company.

Thanks for your time and answers ;)

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: Getting a new buddy for my chin
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 06:43:17 AM »

You don't want to get a male if you don't want babies.  Females are tough to introduce since they are dominate so the younger you can do it the better.  I have found that up to 4 months they go together fairly easy.  Every month that goes by after that it can be more difficult and by a year it can be down right frustrating.  So if you are sure you want to get other do it now.  Don't wait.  You will want to start in cages side by side. Usually I say for a few weeks but since yours is only 6 months and the one you get should be between 4-6  (anything younger will be too small to safely introduce) try just a few days and see how they act together.  Then try letting them out in a neutral area to play and see how that goes.  Keep that up until they are playing well together then you can try the same cage.  Be sure it is on a day when you will be home all day to listen for fighting.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina
Pages: [1]   Go Up