Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Second Chinchilla Issues  (Read 1233 times)

Frostbound

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Second Chinchilla Issues
« on: March 18, 2013, 10:09:35 PM »

So yesterday I got a second chinchilla as a playmate for my current one. The poor thing is very scared and stressed, which I realize is pretty standard, but in addition, the only temporary cage I was able to get for her is pitifully small, and I feel awful.

Because I think she's cramped, this evening I rushed things a bit and allowed the chins to meet face to face. My current chin, Emma, went after the new one, Zoey, and while there was no blood drawn, she didn't let up even though Zoey made no retaliation.

I know this wasn't a very smart thing to do, but now I'm worried I might have caused them to never get along. I've never introduced chins before; if I wait long enough, is there still a chance they can get along?

Thanks.

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: Second Chinchilla Issues
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 06:30:59 AM »

I doubt you have caused them to never get along, but it may have slowed the process a bit.  It can take anywhere from weeks to months to get chinchillas to live together.  You should start watching Craigslist or your local classifieds for a larger cage.  There is a good chance your new one will be in it for awhile.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Frostbound

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 01:28:12 PM »

That's good to know, thank you.

Also, I have the cages in the room where I usually let Emma run around - should I play with Zoey in here too, or take her to the bathroom when I let her out so Emma doesn't get jealous or agitated?

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 03:02:06 PM »

I think it might be less stressful for the new chin to start out in the bathroom where it is more confined. Also it could be dangerous if Zoey manages to get too close to Emma's cage so be careful. As far as Emma goes you should be able to watch her and see how she is reacting to it.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

mahas chin

• # of Chins: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 03:04:37 PM »

Thank you, I feel a little better knowing that , the other is doing just fine but I'm keeping an eye on him.

Frostbound

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 08:09:17 PM »

So it's been almost two weeks since I brought the new chin in. They seem to be doing mostly alright with each other in the other cage. Would it be too soon to try letting them meet again this weekend? And if I do, how long should I tolerate fur pulling/etc. before I should separate them?

Jessica Williams

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 07:18:26 PM »

Put their cages next to each other for a couple of weeks or so. Then you can introduce them to each other very slowly while being present for a little while after that. There is still no guarantee that they will get along especially if they are not the same age and did not go up together from little on. This has to be done very delicately and trust me from experience cannot always be done. Chinchillas can end up hurting or even killing each other even if they are lifelong cage mates after 15 years. There is really no predictable way to let you know this. Maybe you should not have gotten want to be friends with it and or you may just have to keep them separate.

Frostbound

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 10:08:47 PM »

Yes, I'm aware of all of that, they've been in adjacent cages for nearly three weeks. What I meant was, if I let them meet face to face running around a neutral room, how long should I put up with Emma going after/pulling Zoey's fur before I should separate them if they're not ready to meet?

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2013, 09:13:58 PM »

I always make new chins my pets before I introduce them to another chin. If they trust me, they'll trust I will not let another hurt them and will pull them out before any serious injuries are inflicted.
It's all about trust, so give her time to get to know you first. ::wub::
Emma doesn't want to share just yet, you also need to show her she wont loose you to this intruder.
Take it slow, love them both , then ask if they'd like to meet.
Remember they may never like each other, so a second set up is a must.
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up