Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adult verses weaned chinchilla...adding them to a cage with two chins.  (Read 1271 times)

cadillactaste

• Appreciation points: 5
  • Fluffy (Standard) and Nibbles (Violet)
    • View Profile

We've two chinchillas in a double caged Ferret Nation cage. So tons of space...My husband calls from the pet store today...wanting to BUY a black chinchilla. It kept scratching to get out of the cage it was in...seeming friendly as well.

I know adding a mature male to the mix...even a young one is difficult. I would assume getting one just weaned maybe easier to do.

What's your take on this? Would our chinchillas both males be more apt to adjust to a just weaned male chin? Or...forget it entirely?
~Darlene

cadillactaste

• View Profile

I would imagine you still house in a separate cage...until well socialized. Just was wondering if a weaned chin would be more apt to be accepted by the two we already have.

Did look at the website where we got our other two...and, they've moved. So it's an hour and a half drive one way. Though they don't have any chins right now.

Though...sadly when I was looking for an exotic vet I learned that they couldn't even recommend one. They don't take their chins to a vet. Unless it is a special color. Which saddened me...but we've an exotic vet. 
~Darlene

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas

Make the baby your pet before adding him to the herd.
Debbie.nl.ca

cadillactaste

• View Profile

Debbie...So keeping him in a separate cage...and letting the bigger ones play around the cage seeing in?

The scare we had with Nibbles...I worried if something happened to him. With Fluffy always having a cage buddy. Left his litter to only have a just weaned chin from another litter with him at our home. How he would handle it...that I'm seriously considering a baby. But...I need to make sure that Nibs is 100% better. Because I don't want a new chin...seeing him as a weak chin and harming him either.

I've got time...they are only 4 years old. I also am not one to rush out and make a decision before weighing all the pros and cons. My first priority is the two we currently have.

Thanks again Debbie...for your confirming what I assumed. Much appreciated!
~Darlene

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas

You want to have a bond with the baby before you put him with the big boys so he knows you'll protect him.
Yes adding a kit to the mix seems to be the easiest but you still never know who will like who.
 Always have hide-a-ways so any and all have a place to hide should a fight break out, and never leave them alone in the cage until you are sure all are getting along.
Debbie.nl.ca

cadillactaste

• View Profile

Thanks Debbie! For all the advice...I am not running out and buying a wee one anytime soon. But know when our schedule allows it. And I feel it's "right" we'll do so. Having the two and having Nibbles sick scared me. I worried about what would happen to Fluffy if he happened to be the one left alone in the cage. Now...I see having three maybe best. But...right now...we're planning for a mission trip. So...not the right timing.
~Darlene
Pages: [1]   Go Up