Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: It is wise to air dry med dispencers...  (Read 721 times)

cadillactaste

• Appreciation points: 5
  • Fluffy (Standard) and Nibbles (Violet)
    • View Profile
It is wise to air dry med dispencers...
« on: February 23, 2013, 08:42:34 AM »

A word to the wise...never dry medicine dispencers. I did after drying my hands dried the dispencer and wiped the measuring marks off!

Called our regular vet...which is closer, expained  I realize they don't see exotics but explained my delemia and they said to stop in and they would give us a few more. Thank goodness I didn't do this on a Saturday night. Or I would have no way of administering the correct dose. Contemplating putting electrical tape on the syringe to mark the area for dose to make sure I don't do it again.
~Darlene

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: It is wise to air dry med dispencers...
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 09:31:24 AM »

I had the same problem with mine. I fixed it by putting clear tape over the scale and being careful about drying. Putting electrical tape over where it needs to go will work nicely as well if you don't need the rest of the scale.

At least in the US I know that most pet stores will sell 10cc feeding syringes. Most drug stores here sell 10cc syringes for oral irrigation that are similar and some of those are graduated. You definitely want to have extras on hand in case your chin destroys the tip. Mine was really bad about chewing it even when we did our best to keep it away from his front teeth he managed to do it plenty of damage.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

cadillactaste

• Appreciation points: 5
  • Fluffy (Standard) and Nibbles (Violet)
    • View Profile
Re: It is wise to air dry med dispencers...
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 01:23:17 PM »

Packaging tape! Great idea!!! I'll do that...

As for the tip. The two of us do it so I stick it deep in his throat and administer it. So no nibbling...

I wondered about a pharmacy...but wasn't sure with the dose he needs. Good to know!
~Darlene
Pages: [1]   Go Up