Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Giving Chinchillas "SULFA" for an Infection  (Read 5743 times)

Joyce

• Appreciation points: 9
    • View Profile
Giving Chinchillas "SULFA" for an Infection
« on: September 25, 2006, 01:51:46 PM »

Do any of you still have the list from the old forum of "OK" medications both
perscription/non-perscription  that can be safely given to a chin?????
This list was wonderful.  I myself put one of these lists up on forum and cannot remember who put the other one up.  Was it Lori, Debbie, Paul, I am just totally blanking right now!  Sorry, I appologize that I can't remember who posted the list I am speaking of.  I know that I printed it out but canot find it.

We had to take one of our chins "Magoo" to the vet today with a vaginal infection (I'll start another thread on it)  and he sent us home with SULFA.  Has anyone ever given SULFA to a chin before?  Has anyone every had a chin with a bacterial vaginal infection?
Chinchillas by the Bay, Virginia

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
Re: Giving Chinchillas "SULFA" for an Infection
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 02:33:27 PM »

Sorry it wasn't me.
I haven't seen a vaginal infection yet, and haven't heard of using Sulfa drugs on chins.
I do know it I have taken sulfa antibiotics, I'm allergic to penicillin, but also think it's the best for that type of infection, in people.
Debbie.nl.ca

Joyce

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 02:45:55 PM »

::howdythere::  Hi there Debbie!  Thanks for your reply.  I just dug through a stack of chinchillla papers and found some of the stuff I spoke of above.  It was Lori & Karen who sent in medicine lists.  I also found a list from a veterinarian book my vet gave us.  It does say that Sulfa is OK.  "WHEW".   I just always like to get about 50 opinions before I treat any of our chinchillas with something new!  Worried mommy here...... :blush2:  :-[
My husband is ready to shake me!

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 04:43:59 PM »

::silly::Glad you found it!  I didn't know & I've been out most of the day.  Good info to have!
I haven't had one with an infection so far ....

Would you re-post the info you have?   Thanks!

::wave::
Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Lori Earle

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 06:56:48 PM »

Hi Joyce,
We've used Sulfa Trimethoprim to treat various conditions with our chins over the years and have found it to be very safe and well tolerated. Here's a quote for you from veterinarypartner.com :
"This medication has the special advantage of being able to penetrate into ...infected tissues that usually stop other antibiotics at their surface...it can enter not only abscessed tissue but can penetrate the prostate gland, the blood brain barrier and eye, and treat infections in these locations.
Trimethoprim sulfa is a broad spectrum antibiotic with excellent activity against most gram negative organisms and staph in the skin.This makes it a good choice for skin infections or as a general antibiotic when the actual identity of th infecting organism is not known..."
Often, when we've had a sick chin, it seems like the 2 main options are Baytril or Sulfa Trimeth. If we have a choice, we go with the Sulfa, as it's easier on chin's stomachs. My chins struggle with Baytril(diahhrea,etc) and one of our chins couldn't tolerate it at all. On occasion, we have used other meds such as prednisone, fenbendazole, flagyl, etc. Perhaps we should start a new topic on meds that we've all used and found to be safe for chins. I have seen lists of meds that have been deemed safe for chins, that have been reprinted from vet books, but you know, they've always made me raise my eyebrows, as they include things like Ivermectin, which once almost killed a chin of mine(early days, when I had a less knowledgeable vet).The only list I ever posted was a short bit on things I keep in our medicine cabinet for chins - it wasn't too extensive. Would anyone be interested in doing a med list, going by our experiences? Could be helpful for beginners, and maybe teach this old dog a new trick or two!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 06:24:44 PM by Lori Earle »
Lori and chins

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2006, 07:14:37 AM »

::silly::Lori,
    Please do start a thread on this!  I would love to find out from you and others what has been proven and what has not.
   And what is only used in a "last ditch attempt" to save a chin that would otherwise not make it.  (Joyce has had first hand experience in this with Mia, and I am sure there are others!)

::wave::
Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Joyce

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2006, 10:02:55 AM »

Lori, WOW!!!  Thank you so much for the post above, that is some great info to hang on to.  Yes, we should start a thread like you spoke of.  I found our old thread that I actually had printed out. 

Jo Ann, I'll post what I have on a new thread that does address this medicine topic.
Pages: [1]   Go Up