Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stomach virus  (Read 1115 times)

Snickerdoodlesmom

• Proud mom of Snickerdoodle
  • Appreciation points: 11
  • # of Chins: One
    • View Profile
Stomach virus
« on: January 03, 2013, 02:34:33 PM »

I have a nasty stomach virus so I didn't play with Snickerdoodle last night.  Can chinchillas catch these things? I want to play with him; he seems so miserable when I don't. But obviously health comes first. When can I play with him again? Or can I play with him before I'm better?
Thanks everyone.
- Dvora, Snickerdoodle's Momma

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Stomach virus
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 03:41:52 PM »

It is my understanding that some viruses can be transmitted between animals and people but not all so the risk is low. The transmission for the stomach virus is by ingesting contaminated fluids so if you wash your hands well you shouldn't have a problem. It is not airborne like the flu. It is also my understanding that viruses are most contagious during a time when you have a fever. I happen to have a miserable flu at the time and just about everyone in my house has caught it. My chinchilla probably has been exposed many times over but I wash my hands before handling him anyway.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Snickerdoodlesmom

• Proud mom of Snickerdoodle
  • Appreciation points: 11
  • # of Chins: One
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 05:42:36 PM »

Thanks! I don't have fever. And I hope you feel better!
What should I do if he does catch it? Can chinchillas vomit? If they can, how can I clean him up? Will burnt toast help as a remedy?
- Dvora, Snickerdoodle's Momma

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 09:41:30 PM »

Rodents and rabbits don't have the ability to vomit. In fact you can feed them on days when anesthetic is administered because there is no risk of aspiration like there is with cats and dogs. The effects of some viruses might be diarrhea or loose stools, loss of appetite, that sort of thing if there are any symptoms. Burnt toast can be used as a remedy for loose stools. Stomach irritation will usually present with loss of appetite. If there is serious diarrhea to the point where you need to clean it up you will need to have an emergency vet visit. Again the risk is very low. Gastro-intestinal viruses are not airborne and only select viral strains can be transmitted across species. Respiratory infections you might need to be more careful with since secondary bacterial infections are often concurrent and bacteria is easily transmitted across species.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up