Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I've recently switched the type of food and I have a question.  (Read 1062 times)

mb30

• Appreciation points: 36
    • View Profile
I've recently switched the type of food and I have a question.
« on: January 02, 2013, 01:20:49 PM »

I've switched from charnwoods active pellets(which is a more traditional pellet) to beaphar plus chinchilla care (which is an extruded type of "pellet". As far as i know the charnwoods was an alfalfa based pellet and this new food does not have any alfalfa at all in it. Do I need to buy alfalfa hay as well as timothy hay now or is the timothy hay enough? Thanks in avance.

mb30

• Appreciation points: 36
    • View Profile
Re: I've recently switched the type of food and I have a question.
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 02:01:50 PM »

just to clarify...these are UK brands and here is the composition of the beaphar food...
cereals, derivatives of vegetable origin, vegetable protein extracts, minerals, vegetables, seeds, yeast, yucca schidigera, algae.

supposedly this is the best food you can provide for your chinchilla and it seems many people who breed use it.

the charnwoods had peanuts and molasses in it so i figured id switch...also i was annoyed at finding actual whole peanuts in with the pellets.  tons of people use it so it must not contain enough to harm but my chinchilla has stopped eating them anyways...

Snickerdoodlesmom

• Proud mom of Snickerdoodle
  • Appreciation points: 11
  • # of Chins: One
    • View Profile
Re: I've recently switched the type of food and I have a question.
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 02:24:46 PM »

It's not a good idea to operate under the assumption that "tons of people use it so it must be ok" when it comes to chinchilla care. For example, at Petco, they told me that my cage was one of the choices for chinchilla owners and that is was totally safe. The cage is plastic; bad choice on my part!
I am pretty sure that alfalfa hay isn't a necessity. It's a very rich hay, so use it only as a treat so that the chinchilla won't get sick.
Anyway, it was a good idea to switch foods! Nuts are so high in fat and also can cause liver damage.
- Dvora, Snickerdoodle's Momma
Pages: [1]   Go Up