Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chinchilla acting odd  (Read 1805 times)

AnnieHank

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
Chinchilla acting odd
« on: September 23, 2012, 03:25:52 PM »

Pixie has started doing this really weird thing, she crawls under her food bowl which is attached to the cage and wiggles along under it on her back with her paws in the air. She has only started doing this in the last few days. She has also started looking up and arching her back and neck for a few seconds. Anyone else's chin do something like this?
I'm hoping it's nothing to do with her getting her head caught in her hay ball a few weeks ago. She is still eating loads and pooing normally and very active and everything else normal.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Chinchilla acting odd
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 03:36:18 PM »

If this were my chin I would try to move her when she is doing this. If she stays like that and cannot be distracted (or acts really strangely or dazed while being distracted) then I would suspect a seizure or condition of some sort.
If it's under the food bowl I just have to wonder if she has found a new thing to do. Pets can do quirky things that defy explanation. Perhaps its triggered by a memory from the bad experience.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

AnnieHank

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 04:28:27 PM »

Thanks for your reply.

It kind of looks like it could be a game she's playing. She literally scoots along under her food dish on her back, wriggling her feet in the air then jumps up and bounces around. I tried getting her attention when she was doing this and she was immediately over to me, sniffing to see if I had treats. Same with the arching her back and neck and looking up, she can be distracted very easily and doesn't seem dazed or in any way off. I suppose I'm just concerned because of the incident that there may be some lasting damage to her neck. The other two don't do this and I've never seen her do this before about a week ago. I've gently checked her neck and there's no lumps or strange bits and she doesn't seem to flinch or be uncomfortable.

If she was in some sort of pain or discomfort, she'd probably lose her appetite or her poos would be abnormal, right? Am I worrying for nothing when she's probably just found a fun new game?!

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 07:04:16 PM »

I would expect there to be signs of stress (lowered food intake, weight, abnormal droppings, etc.) if there was any pain and also would not expect it to just go away suddenly if there was something wrong. I certainly wouldn't expect the chinchilla would allow you to handle it if there was a problem like that. It is possible she has found a new way to get your attention.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

AnnieHank

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 11:31:43 AM »

Well, food intake, weight, droppings and activity level remain unchanged and she's happy being cuddled as much as usual so I'll take it she's just found another way to be her crazy funny little self! <3

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 04:37:28 PM »

That is perfectly normal.  Chinchillas are characters and like to squeeze into all sorts of tight spaces.  I have several chinchillas that sleep on their backs with their feet in the air against the tunnel.  Others will sit in the corned and sleep sitting up on their rear end like a human would.  I have another chinchilla that has a hanging tunnel.  He likes to squeeze between the tunnel and the cage top.  They will also stretch sometimes this way and that.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

AnnieHank

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 06:04:16 AM »

Cheers for that. I've just never seen her do that before and was worried after the incident where she caught her neck. I'm a worrier anyway!

Snickerdoodlesmom

• Proud mom of Snickerdoodle
  • Appreciation points: 11
  • # of Chins: One
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 02:56:06 PM »

I agree with chinclub. I have a similar situation: Snickerdoodle has a lava ledge right above his hay bowl, and since a week ago, he realized that if he lies on his back in the bowl, he can "attack" the lava ledge and chew it, too. It's adorable to watch!
- Dvora, Snickerdoodle's Momma
Pages: [1]   Go Up