Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Somebody talk me out of this!!!!!!  (Read 936 times)

Cyrusandme

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
Somebody talk me out of this!!!!!!
« on: September 10, 2012, 03:00:14 PM »

Just saw our local shelter has a spayed (?) chin.   So I have a few questions for the experts.
First of all, providing this actually IS a spayed female, how likely is it that I can introduce her to my male chin and have it work?  He will charge his cage bars to go after the cats, and one time when I held one of the guinea pigs up to meet him, he really got nasty.  So, will it work if I slowly introduce this little girl to him.  Or is he truly okay alone.  All the other species we have (horses, goats, rabbits, ducks, guinea pigs, dogs, cats, have a partner or, in the case of the ducks, partners (we have 7).  Is Cyrus better off alone?  He is far from lonely.  He does not want the cats or pigs in his space, but I see him watching them.  He gets out of his cage at least once, sometimes twice a day for play time in the bathroom.  The computer is in the small animal room, so I am in here a lot.
I don't want to take her and find that it does not work out.  I don't have the room for another cage permanently, I can make do while they are aclimating, but I don't want two big cages in the room.  So, she would have to live with him.  He is about 4-5, she is less than a year.
My husband is going to clobber me if I do this, but hey, he gets over stuff fast! LOL
About a year ago I wanted to get another chin.  Found a female at another shelter.  She definitely was spayed.  I adopted her on Tues, the shelter was closed on Wed, and I was to pick her up on Thursday.  I called Thurs am and found out she had died.  When I talked to our small animal vet because I was very upset, she said spaying chins in VERY risky.  And that her little body just could not handle the surgery.  I was devastated.  I had the room then for another cage, but then I got a 2nd GP, and also put a large ex pen down for their play time, so the room got a lot smaller!
Anyway, deep down I don't think this is probably a great idea.  But I sure would love another chin.  This is a lovely shelter and she will go to a good home if I don't take her.....so......what do I do??????????????????????? ::shrug::

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Somebody talk me out of this!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 07:26:53 PM »

Although I'm not an expert I've seen this question answered before.
There is a possibility if you slowly introduce them it will work. There are tricks to this if you're interested in hearing them. It is also possible they will kill each other even if it looks like it's starting to work or after they have been living together for a while. Like spaying a chinchilla it is a calculated risk although not as high. A chinchilla can do just fine by itself. My new male chin seems to be very well adjusted being alone. My philosophy of animals, whether it's true or not time will tell, is that in most cases they are going to get accustomed to living a certain way and the longer it is the same the harder it is going to be to change without causing stress and behavioral issues. Chinchillas tend to be high strung but some can be very tolerant. It will largely depend on the individual. It sounds like yours is very territorial and might not be a good candidate for this. If you want to try I think you should be prepared to have two cages set up and monitor their interactions very closely. Chins can be very fragile creatures and a simple bite from another chin can be fatal.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 06:36:38 AM »

One thing to consider...the chinchilla is not likely spayed. I have seen it over and over again. They see the line that goes down the mid section naturally and say... Oh this girl was already spayed or the vet cuts her open and says oh I don't see the uterus...must already be spayed. No joke I have seen this happen at least 10 times in the last few months where an owner ends up with babies from a spayed animal.
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

Cyrusandme

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 07:06:28 AM »

This shelter is usually pretty good because of the vet they use.  But, there is a chance they were given misinformation.  AND I DO NOT WANT BABIES!!!!  Plus, Cyrus is very very territorial.  I would not be able to live with myself if he injured or killed her.  So, that answers that question.  I don't have the room for another large cage, so if it did not work, I'd be in a bit of a bad spot.
Thanks.  I kind of knew all this, but just wanted validation.  I think he is fine alone.  I see no signs of depression or self mutilating behaviors.  He is perky and personable.  I will leave well enough alone and have the extra time to devote to  him.
Pages: [1]   Go Up