Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with the bonding process!!  (Read 961 times)

tayl0or17

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: One
    • View Profile
Help with the bonding process!!
« on: August 07, 2012, 08:14:11 PM »

So just yesterday August 6th I bought myself a adorable baby chinchilla. His name is Ziggy. I've read many articles on how to bond with your chinchilla but I want some more advice and more tips. I want to do this right!   :::grins:: He is very timid and skittish right now. I can tell he isn't comfortable with his surroundings yet so about how long should I leave him in the cage? Occasionally throughout the day I'll sit next to his cage and sing to him or quietly talk to him. Also, I have put my hand in the cage a few times to let him sniff he's sniffed my hand 2 of the times but he then backs away. I don't want to do anything to soon so that's why I am asking for you're advice on which steps to follow in the bonding process!
Thanks!

Marip

• Appreciation points: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Help with the bonding process!!
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 06:30:33 AM »

when i got my first chin i sat by the cage for a long time too,  i gave  pellets ,raisins (but not too much), i put my harm inside the cage too,  i  think now he first has to get used to the enviroment and the cage, then bond with you, you can also let him out for a few minuts and see what he does.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 07:19:30 AM »

Since this is only the second day you've had him it might be better to wait a couple of days before you let him out. If you end up having to chase him or he gets startled by something you will be taking a big step backwards in the process.
It can take a week or so to get over that initial stress of relocation. What you are doing for now is good. If he stays by your hand longer than a second or two you can try to scratch him under the chin. If he jumps back just let him. From what I understand the chinchilla will keep coming back to you out of curiosity. Just do this at the opening of the cage and don't try to chase him in the cage at all. He has to learn it is safe.

It can help to offer treats but that first week you really want to limit it because stress causes bowel irritation which can be dangerous if the stools get too loose. Maybe half a raisin a day max. After that a whole one per day is acceptable. When he is 8 months you should be able to feed 2 raisins per day max (but not all at once). Give treats only if there are no signs of bowel problems. Remember these treats are for your benefit not for dietary supplements. Chinchillas don't need them and can get very sick and die if they get too much.

I recommend offering a dust bath tomorrow in the cage if he is looking healthy. (Dust bath 15 minutes per session twice a week) if you haven't done that yet. Dust only if his eyes are clear and not watery/ irritated.

Unfortunately I can only provide second-hand information but I think most is common knowledge. Perhaps someone else can comment.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

tayl0or17

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 01:16:30 PM »

Okay, thanks! I'll try the dust bath tomorrow. Hopefully my little guy likes it!

Snickerdoodlesmom

• Proud mom of Snickerdoodle
  • Appreciation points: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 11:29:17 AM »

Every chinny likes his bath :) if they're too young or don't know what to do, you're supposed to massage some dust into the fur. Hope this helps! Good luck!
- Dvora, Snickerdoodle's Momma
Pages: [1]   Go Up