News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pee  (Read 1160 times)

Starina

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Pee
« on: July 10, 2012, 08:53:20 PM »

Usually Peach has always pee'd in the left hand back corner of the cage, but lately I've noticed that it's all down the side of the cage (on that side) and also on the floor as if she's just sitting on the top shelf and having a pee! Is there anyway I can deter this? So that she goes back to pee'ing at the bottom. It's such a mess!

mb30

• Appreciation points: 36
    • View Profile
Re: Pee
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 02:07:09 AM »

Im not sure if theres really anything you can do. That john hopewell site does sell pee guards you can try. We had the same cage as you and had the same problem....we tried a couple of the guards and it did help somewhat but never completely solved the problem. Luckily since being in the new cage the chinchilla has only gone at the bottom. Also the cage you have doesnt have solid floors so the pee will go everywhere. Ours used to pee on the wall she was by. It was a nightmare!

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 07:03:29 AM »

Does your cage have wire shelves?  I hate wire shelves because many chinchillas will go up there to pee.  Cover that shelf with something.  A piece of untreated pine wood, a Chin Chiller (piece of tile), cardboard. Chinchillas don't like to pee on a hard area where it would pool under their feet.  Since she is used to that spot she might do it one more time but after that should move down to the bottom.

I do have a few chinchillas that will back up to the side of the cage, lift their butts up and pee out of the cage.  For that you need to put a small guard up like mb30 said above.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Starina

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 02:44:45 PM »

She's only done it the past week or so it's a nightmare. I think I will get something to cover the floors, it's weird, when she's out she always runs back in the cage to pee. She's not done it on the wall or anything, she's just basically pee'd in the top corner and some has come out of the side. How lazy is she!

I'll have a go at covering the floor and see how that helps.
Pages: [1]   Go Up