Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: laid off from work  (Read 3371 times)

Hoppinchins

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
laid off from work
« on: July 02, 2012, 07:48:25 AM »

I recently got laid off of work. I was quit a shock. I lost my health insurance the day I got laid off. The only positive thing is that I can apply for unemployment. I am getting married on October. We were just about to book our honeymoon, and then this happened. We are still going to go on our honeymoon. We are going to Italy. Im not as excited about it as i was before since it is going to an expensive trip and I may or may not have a job by then. I may not have vacation days yet.  I'm lucky that my parents are paying for the wedding. I hoping to find a career, not just another job. I know there is no good time for anyone to loose a job. So far, the only interviews Iv had are for sales jobs. I just want something that has a stable income and I enjoy.

Beccaleigh05

• Appreciation points: 2
  • # of Chins: 1
  • New Chinchilla Mommy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
Re: laid off from work
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 08:06:11 AM »

Advocare.... you can make your own hours, selling products that help people lose weight, gain muscle and feel amazing.. ive been selling it for a few moths now and the extra money i make from there goes toward our new house we hope to buy soon... there are people who after 6 months of selling advocare are making 25k a MONTH..... if you want to know more message me :) we can chat.

www.24days2freedom.com watch the videos then we can sign you up if interested to become an independent distributor
First time Chinchilla Owner

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 09:20:17 AM »

I've been unemployed for some years now and have been off of unemployment for over a year after being laid off of two decent jobs. I live with my parents. My dad was unemployed and we lost our house for a second time in five years. At least this one was rented. It took a year for him to find a new job and it is not as good as the one he had. It is contract work out of state. The area that I live in is very depressed and the town is literally falling apart. My relatives and my church have been helping me look for a job for me for over a year now to no avail. It looks like we might be moving soon and I intend to continue my education ASAP but even that is uncertain.

One thing I have learned the hard way is that if you are on unemployment do not get work at a temp agency and expect to keep your unemployment. The agency I worked for did find work for me but it was very sporadic. Collecting unemployment benefits causes the temp agency to pay higher taxes and they will be dishonest and try to get you disqualified. If they know you are on it they will not deal fairly with you. This happened to me and there are reports of it happening to many others. My background is in administration. I am always very careful with records and reporting and still managed to get burned. There are horror stories I read online (after the fact) where temp agencies even cause the government to demand huge penalties and return of benefits collected during their stay at the temp agency by claiming they didn't follow their reporting policies during the time they were collecting benefits. At least I was spared that but my benefits went away and I was unable to find another job. Even a job that I could have worked a couple of days which would have reinstated my benefits! And I have very good references and a resume that gets a lot of compliments. The economy is that bad around here.

With this being said I think temp agencies can still be a good place to find work especially if you're good at what you do and can find a temp to perm. job. The secretary of the company I worked for last turned out to be excellent and they kept her on. The temp agencies that I am most interested in sadly require recent or continuing education. Since we've been in a state of limbo for so long not knowing where we are going to move I have been unable to commit to a school. Now Obamacare has not been repealed and this is going to discourage a lot of new employment because the new policies will make it more expensive for big companies to hire because of higher taxes, or should I say taxes Obama calls penalties. We are not living in good times.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 05:47:40 AM by GrayRodent »
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 06:43:37 AM »

Beccaleigh05,

I'll look up the company and watch the videos later today. I'v never heard of them before. I'm glad its working out for you! Before this happened, my fiance and I had a rough estimate of a new home that we could afford. Now, we are just waiting to see what kind of a job I get.

GrayRodent,
I am sorry for your families hard times. I am lucky enough that my parents never lost their job. I'm sure at times like this it is hard to stay positive.
I can't believe temp agency's can do that. How is that legal?  I almost took a job through them. I'm glad I didn't. The main one that I'v tried a few times and never got a job with is Addeco. There is another one i think called staffmart by me. There is another one that is for science jobs, but i can't think of what that one is called.  I have even asked the people from unemployment if i got a temp job or a 100% commission based job, if i would still qualify for unemployment after or if I wasn't making much money and they said yes.  Unemployment has been a bit of a pain though. I had to call there a few times with problems. I'v been unemployed for 3 weeks now. I apparently can't get my benefits for another week because i stated in my claim that I get 3 weeks pay from my severance package. I haven't got a single check from my past employer yet. I also work at a church one day a week, for child care. Each time i have a week of work and then a week of no work, i have to fill someone out online and then call them to explain why i didn't work. Its such a pain.

So far, the only companies that are interested in me are sales jobs that are 100% commission. I have to science associates, but hardly any experience. Thats not helping me get a job in a lab or something environmental at all.

I heard that Obamacare passed. I'm not to thrilled about that. It sounds like it is not really going to be benefiting people. I heard that anyone that doesn't have health inc will get charged. I'm not even sure when this is suppose to take in effect. I know it will be a little while. I won't have health inc till the end of Nov in less I can find a job before I get married. 6 months after we are married, we want to start to have kids.

I really hope every thing works our for you and your family. I hope it becomes easier to find a job for both of us.

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 08:21:52 AM »

I know what you're going through. Every time you get paid you have to report it to the state. Then they have to make a determination if you were eligible to receive benefits or to continue. Once a temp agency is on record with the state they must contact the temp agency and verify you are compliant with their reporting records before they decide. I'm sure the cases I've read about where temp employees were treated unfairly were not legal. The fact is you are at the mercy of their record keeping practices and honesty and if there is a dispute you'd have to go to arbitration. If the ruling is against you the government is likely to penalize you and cause you to pay back benefits you received during the period in question or possibly your entire stay with that agency.

If I were on my own and had my own family the stakes would be much higher but I had a lot of support from my parents so I didn't fight it. I finished out my assignment and switched temp agencies. (At the same time I had been making hundreds of phone calls to local business) The state said that I would be eligible to receive benefits again if I had another assignment or job and no additional work was available. I asked pointed questions at the new agency and then did not get any jobs whatsoever. I certainly could not prove if they blacklisted me but I suspect they did.

I know in the cases of others I've read about there were actually falsified records and false accusations and no one could prove it. It was one person's word against another and the arbitrator gets to choose whose word takes precedent. The fact is that is costs the temp agencies time and money to deal with the additional hassle of reporting and it makes their taxes go up even if the temp quits. It's not that they necessarily will but the risk is higher than you might think.

I hope people will educate themselves about the history government run health care in other countries. It is always an imminent failure that eventually falls under its own weight as the money gets wasted in an increasingly inefficient system.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 08:27:54 AM by GrayRodent »
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 11:10:50 AM »

I wouldn't know about the temp agency if you wouldn't have mentioned it. I feel sorry for all the people that have gotten hurt.  I just hope i won't be on unemployment much longer.

I'v had a pretty lucky life. My parents have paid for schooling and everything. Iv moved out again and are getting married and my dad retired in December, so I am shoved into the real world. I just my job that laid me off right when i was about to finish college. I wasn't happy there but it was real job with steady pay and benefits.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 11:14:15 AM by GrayRodent »

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 11:17:10 AM »

The good news is there is always hope. The full time job before last I was laid off too but I actually found a nicer job that I liked more and paid more.
Pages: [1]   Go Up