Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hungarian newbie  (Read 1285 times)

Xterms

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Hungarian newbie
« on: June 08, 2012, 03:12:03 AM »

Hey!

I'm a Hungarian 19 y.o. boy, currently studying at the Semmelweis Uni, Faculty of Medicine, and undergoing the wonders of exam session at the moment...phuhh...
In my high school which has a reputation about its biology speciality, there was an "animal house", which consisted of a classroom and the end of the corridor belonging to it, furnished and equipped to house a lot of animals, from birds via reptiles to rodents, really tons of animals were there and it was delighting to watch or feed them as a relaxing deed during a tiring day... there was my first time to see a chinchilla, I hadn't even known of their existance before, and at the moment I managed to hold one of them, I fell in love with them at once. :blush2:

I currently have no animals, and have heard the well-known phrases of my mother all along my life about the fact that I can't take the responsibility for anything blah blah blah...I got fed up last year and started with some carnivorous plants, and I proved not only her but also to myself that I CAN care for living things, and now I want to continue with sth more of a challenge, that mustn't be anything else apart from a chinchilla! I need a chinchilla!  ::silly:: ::silly::

I also have a habit that if something interests me, I read and watch stuff about if all day and memorize as much as I can, so I already have a large knowledge about chins, with which I think I can start to care for one (two  :::grins::), but it's of course only theoretical, and it never substitutes experience, that's why I'm here to learn even more from you, talented inhabitants of this forum. :)

So that's all about my relation to chins, hope I'm not annoying with talking too much. :::grins::

Cheers,
Bálint
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 03:17:37 AM by Xterms »

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Hungarian newbie
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 06:53:53 AM »

Looks like you came to the right place. There are professional breeders and pet owners who participate on this site. There are others like you too including me. I have done a lot of research but have no chinchilla. My circumstances just won't allow for it but I am hopeful they will change and my day will come. Talking too much is good for an online forum btw.

I have owned many pets including farm animals, rodents, rabbits, and exotic birds for many years and have been intimately involved in their care. My favorite was my house cats but I live with my mom who developed a severe allergy to them. I really miss having them around so I have been searching for an alternative and I have determined that I really want need a chinchilla. These are the things that I found most attractive: The chinchilla lives about as long as a cat which I think is way better than the rats I used to keep (3 years max). A big advantage is they live in a cage unlike a cat so they aren't free to destroy furniture when you're not around. Food is cheap compared to cats and birds and easy to come by even premium brands where I live. However I'm not sure what your situation is going to be. They can be very tame although it does takes work and getting them from an early age to get them as tame as our cats were. Either that or they have to very old and/ or half dead!

They tend to like interacting with people and their litter doesn't have an uncontrollable odor like cats. Although I've never handled a chinchilla it's amazing what you can pick up by reading the threads here. They just sound like a lot of fun. And of course they are beautiful creatures which always helps. It is strange because I first saw them in pet stores many years ago and always thought they were ugly. Perhaps they were really low quality.

The things I find least attractive is that they require very low and controlled temperatures to stay healthy and I live in a warm place that will need a portable air conditioner to be safe. So there is a possibility that I still won't be able to have a chin. They are also creatures that can get startled and stress easily and have health issues as a result.If they get tooth problems which isn't too uncommon it can be expensive to diagnose and difficult to manage.

Chris
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up