News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Toys  (Read 8227 times)

Starina

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Toys
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2012, 05:08:13 AM »

Yeah I mean the wooden house, she doesn't really sleep in it. She tends to sleep in different spots around the cage but her house. She goes in there and eats the hay has a little sit down.

She's started playing a lot more and running around. And yesterday evening she cam down to the bottom of the cage from the top where I had a raisin in my hand and stood on my hand whilst she ate in there. It took her at least 25minutes to come down as she wanted me to put it in the bars for her lol. But she came and ate it. But when she was sniffing for some more she must of smelt it and nipped my hand (Wasn't hard just a small nip that didn't even hurt) But when she did that she ran away. So i just talked to her for a bit. She comes over to me when I go near the cage and I speak to her, but I haven't made any attempt to touch her (Apart from giving her raisins as I want her to come to me for them and trust me enough to do so)

I do need to clean out the cage (It's been 4 days today since I got her, and would like to give it a clean but I'm a little scared of scaring her. I thought the cage I had, had a pull out drawer but it doesn't do you think she'll be ok if I lure her into her carry case with a treat whilst I clean it?

lols! That's so cute! I think they're adorable. I'm looking forward to when I can have her out and about in the lounge.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2012, 06:11:50 AM »

Yeah that is what I what I would do. Just put a raisin in there. Sounds like she's coming along. When she comes up to your hand you can try to touch her under her chin and scratch there when you feel like it's time to do that and try to avoid contact with whiskers. Do not come from above. Keep in mind that chinchillas can chew through just about anything even blankets. Make sure she has no access to anything dangerous.
Although I've never owned a chinchilla I've owned several parrots and they seem to behave similarly. If I think something is going to startle them I make sure the cage is covered with a blanket and make things (like the vaccum cleaner or furniture we are moving around) disappear for a while. If you startle your chin by mistake it's not a big deal when its environment is otherwise consistently calm. They will get over it unless it's something really traumatic (like having to chase it around or giving it medication that it hates several times a day) but even then if you work with them they'll get over it long as you are consistent. It will just take longer.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Starina

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2012, 11:52:25 AM »

So she's been coming up to me and taking the raisins from my hand when I put them at the bottom of the cage. It takes a little while for her to come down. She generally sits on my hand now to eat them but if I try and move my hand she runs to the top of the cage.

I gave her a bath today. I had the cage door open and was letting her sniff my hand and she was playing around me. And then I put the bath on the second level of the cage, she absolutely loved it and was then running around her cage for a mad hour, running in and out of the bath. It was the most adorable thing I've seen in a long time.
I was planning to maybe let her out next week put the cage on the floor and open it, and then lure her back in with a bath and raisin. I think if I give her a bath (is it everyday?) And a raisin right after it she might be more willing to get back in the cage and have her bath to get the raisin.

We shall see. But so far things seem to be looking well with her.

mb30

• Appreciation points: 36
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2012, 04:14:31 PM »

I let mine have a bath everyday. I just leave it on the ground for a half hour. Careful with the raisins though...they should be given very sparingly. One or two a week. Rose hips are much better for them. Maybe one every other day.

Starina

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2012, 05:52:36 PM »

I'm not even sure what they are? Where can I get them and what do they look like? Are you able to give them more than the raisins? She seems to really enjoy those.

She's just been out in my lounge for two hours, getting her to go back inside was slightly hard work. But I gave her a stroke behind her ears. She just wants to come back out she's pawing at the cage door.

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2012, 08:28:46 PM »

You can give a tablespoon of yogurt a day. I know there is some debate about raisins but I've seen some documentation from big ranchers who have done informal studies showing feeding two a day (morning and night) has been shown to cause no ill effects. However keep in mind that too many raisins or similar treats will cause soft poo. An overdose can result in diarrhea which can be fatal so you still have to be very restrictive about what you feed and how much per day.  So if the poo is not hard then back off and note what caused it.

Sudden changes in diet are bad for chins so it really is best if you can find non food related rewards for your pet. It really shouldn't take more than what you are doing to get your chin accustomed to you. Offer some twigs or toys and if she is starting to enjoy a scratch on the chin or head that can also be a good treat. Also a tablespoon of plain unsweetened yogurt a day is considered to be a good dietary supplement in addition to the raisins.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Starina

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2012, 08:18:36 AM »

mb30

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2012, 02:16:41 PM »

Those shells should be fine...i found a bag of whole rosehips at pets at home...the only difference is the shells dont have the seeds which the chinchilla will just throw on the floor anyways

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2012, 05:54:56 PM »

Be careful introducing new foods into a chinchilla's diet. This can cause problems that can be fatal and it can be a very expensive and time intensive experience to treat digestive upset and sometimes it can be deadly. Unlike cats and dogs they can die in a couple of days if their system shuts down because of diarrhea or constipation. Their systems are created to process a diet primarily of dried grass. With chinchillas it's best to stick with hay and pellets although they can live on hay alone and be perfectly healthy. Occasional treats are okay but they are not necessary and because your chin is likely still under some stress from relocation. It is probably best to hold off on adding or changing anything for at least a couple of weeks. A couple of raisins a day should be considered the maximum amount of treats in a day.

Starina

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2012, 06:44:41 PM »

Well Peach seems to be settling in great. Had her just over a week now, and she is quite friendly, still rather jumpy but lets me stroke her on the head, and under her chin. She'll come over to me when I go near the cage. She also loves playing out (Has her favorite spot to sit on my sons chair under the table. She's very easy to get back in her cage, she has her bath, and then has a raisin and goes back in. She also jumps on my knee whilst I'm sat on the sofa.

My other half purchased a flying saucer wheel for her today which she loves. She runs around on that thing for ages, didn't take her long to get the jist of it at all.

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2012, 07:38:56 PM »

That's awesome. Sounds like you have a great pet.

mb30

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2012, 04:33:05 PM »

Cool. Very glad to hear.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up