News:

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Toys  (Read 8243 times)

Starina

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Toys
« on: May 24, 2012, 03:14:43 PM »

Hi I'm new here, So I'm sorry if this topic has been discussed or that its in the wrong section.

I've never had a Chinchilla before, And I'm going to be getting on within the next two weeks. I've ordered my cage, read all about them and I am currently buying things to go into the cage.
I've read somewhere to get 'bid' toys for them as they're stronger then other ones. But I'm a little concerned over the paint they use if it is or isn't safe for them. So I wanted to ask you lovely people if these kind of toys would be safe for them.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Happy-Building-Block-Maze-Parrot/dp/B00422KY62/ref=pd_sim_petsupplies_2

I'm looking at toys like this, and was wondering if this was OK?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rope-climbing-wall-27-24/dp/B003TOJ87K/ref=pd_sim_petsupplies_12

And also this, I've heard mixed things about the rope. If it's allowed or not.

Again I'm sorry if it's in the wrong section. I just don't want to get them anything that may injure/harm them.

Thank you

Starina.

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: Toys
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 06:37:55 PM »

Those look more like they are for climbing than chewing.  Try these:

http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillatoys.html

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Starina

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 06:43:50 PM »

Hi

Thank you for the link,

I'm in the UK so usually the US sites don't deliver here, or charge way too much for delivery. I'm finding it hard finding any interesting toys for them.

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 06:56:06 PM »

OK, well if you want to stick with Amazon try these products:
http://astore.amazon.com/hugginpupgraphic?node=1&page=1

My favs are:

http://astore.amazon.com/hugginpupgraphic/detail/B000TZ3R42 Peter's Peek-A-Boo Playhouse

http://astore.amazon.com/hugginpupgraphic/detail/B0002DJEYI Super Pet Small Animal Nut Knot

http://astore.amazon.com/hugginpupgraphic/detail/B006E2SDZM Play and Chew Chinchilla Tunnels
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 06:58:03 PM by chinclub »

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 07:28:04 PM »

Hello Starina. I am not a chinchilla owner nor do I claim to be an expert. I would love to have a chinchilla and I am doing a lot of research on them for when that time comes and learn a lot here too. You'll find the community here is awesome and I'm sure you will you find that to be true.

Toys for medium to large parrots are similar to chinchilla toys. Just make sure to remove any plastic, rubber, leather or cloth as these materials can cause fatal bowel obstructions in chins. I have a parrot and some of the toys have the exact same parts as the vendors on this website. In fact I have seriously considered ordering parts to make new ones but recently have found some cheap ones at local discount stores. We allow our parrot to play with rope toys but are careful to check them frequently for fraying which can cause entanglement.

Local stores that sell parrots often sell toys for other exotic pets as well.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Starina

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 03:27:20 AM »

Thank you very much for your answers, and thank you for the links.

I've stuck to Amazon but they don't have a great selection in the UK for toys or anything for Chinchillas. So many for rabbits and hamsters, I think they're the most common pet. As well as dogs and cats of course. Even in the pet stores here they seem to have very limited toys for the Chinchillas, that's why I ended up looking at the parrot toys.

My concern with the parrot toys is that it says they're made from

Ideal for parrots and other large birds
    Formulated using Non Toxic colours and dyes
    100% Natural Wood

I know it says Non Toxic lol but it just confuses me with all the stuff that Chinchillas can't have.

That being said I've ordered a few boredom breakers and things, and also have ordered everything that they need in their cage. Thank you all for the help.

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 05:42:16 AM »

I wouldn't worry about the dyes since parrot owners are very picky too about that kind of thing. Usually it is vegetable dye which is safe though it could be food dye which is okay too. If in doubt you can always call or e-mail the manufacturer.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

mb30

• Appreciation points: 36
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 02:16:36 PM »

Starina , im in the uk as well andd as far as toys go just be careful if you purchase anything from a pet store. It seems over here stores are selling toys that are safe for chins that really arent. Also try ebay. Theres a specific person who makes toys for chins. Sorry that i dont know the user name.
Maybe look into a portable air conditioner too depending what area of the uk youre in. Everyone thought i was crazy for buying one but luckily i did because the last 2 days here have been really hot.

mb30

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 02:19:52 PM »

Oh...one more thing...look into charnwood chinchilla pellets. They are a high quality feed since thats another thing thats hard to find over here.

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2012, 02:25:43 PM »

If you haven't you should check out the product reviews on this website. There could be some useful information there about similar products. Pet stores can and do sell some dangerous things.

http://www.chinchillaclub.com/reviews/

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2012, 09:42:58 PM »

i just checking shipping for a medium flat rate box it wouldl cost 47 to ship to you.. it is expensive to ship to other countries...
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)

Starina

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2012, 02:16:59 AM »

Thank you all for your help!

And thanks MB yeah I've seen a few toys in the pet shop and they're made of plastic. I was slightly concerned!.

It's very expensive to ship over here JMD, the prices are untrue, and the US has a lot more supplies for Chinchillas maybe they're more popular over there.

Also... MB do you have a pet enclosures for yours or do you let them run around? I've tried looking for Chinchilla pet enclosures but not been able to find anything.

Thanks again.

mb30

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2012, 01:25:15 AM »

i just let mine run around the dining room and up and down the stairs and upstairs bedroom but i never leave her when doing so. When we got the chon we really didnt know much about them or how much they chew everything. The skirting board and dining room chair legs have paid a grave price haha. But yes...i usually give her free range of the dining room/entrance way and upstairs main bedroom. Just be sure everything is hooveted up and you stay close. Also we have a female and they are supposedly a little more crazy.
Im not sure what you are looking to spend but the xtrail rodent cage is very nice. I bought it after a few months of keeping my chin in her original cage. The new one is very spacious with pullout trays so its easy to clean every day as opposed to the other which i cleaned once a week bevade it had to be taken apart to clean. i know that you said you already have a cage picked out but pull out trays make life so much easier.

mb30

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2012, 01:30:19 AM »

Oh..chewbs( i think thats what theyre called) are good too.  Chew tubes made of vegetable paper...just make sure your chin isnt eating that instead of its food because it has no nutritional value. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask and ill try to help.

Starina

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2012, 01:07:34 AM »

Thank you MB.

The cage I have picked out has three levels and a pull out tray, So thankfully it will be easier to clean. I was considering letting them have free reign of my lounge, since my house isn't very big. And I don't really have much stuff in there, would just be able to pull out the TV into the hall. I just have a stone fireplace which I'd rather not end up in dust lol but not sure what I'm able to cover that with?

I think that's mostly why I was looking for something to let the run around in so they don't destroy my fireplace and the skirting boards lol. My poor lounge it already suffered at the hands of my child!

I so believe I have ordered some Chewbs one or two I think, not entirely sure. I don't drive lol that's why I mainly order things. I was going to get two chins but I've read that they're better on their own, which is conflicting to other things I've read. Do you have one or two? I still haven't got them yet, just waiting for my cage and other things to arrive so I can have it all put together. One other thing, the hay do I put this around the cage? Or in a dish?

And do you by any chance know of any breeders in the Macc area? I've looked around and can't find anything near me, was hoping for Petsathome as last option.

Thanks again for your help!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up