Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Pedigrees  (Read 8534 times)

Snickerdoodlesmom

• Proud mom of Snickerdoodle
  • Appreciation points: 11
  • # of Chins: One
    • View Profile
Re: Pedigrees
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2012, 12:16:15 PM »

My chinchilla is not stressed though... I can tell because he sometimes chews while he's in the dust bath, which he ADORES.
- Dvora, Snickerdoodle's Momma

Snickerdoodlesmom

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2012, 12:22:22 PM »

I'm actually very nervous... Sometimes I find rough patches on his belly that may have been chewed, but they smooth down immediately.

lilchinchilla

• Appreciation points: 16
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Park Place
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2012, 01:40:30 PM »

He doesn't have to be stressed to chew.  ;) As I said - sometimes a little bit of stress will bring it out - in reference to chinchillas who weren't chewing and then suddenly do chew.
It's genetic, and can be passed down onto kits, much like malo or other genes are - since it is another recessive trait. I hope he just keeps to chewing his fur and nothing more. If you find him ever bleeding in spots or bite marks, you may want to see a vet and ask for help in trying to curb the problem, in case it gets more serious. I know of one owner who used a cone shaped collar to keep her chinchilla from chewing themselves. It didn't work as often times the collar would come off, but she tried, because of the self mutilation her chin was doing to themselves. :(

Snickerdoodlesmom

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2012, 01:54:10 PM »

Ill be posting a picture soon. But I thought he was just very itchy. Is this possible?

Snickerdoodlesmom

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2012, 06:24:47 PM »

this is my boy

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2012, 07:45:43 PM »

He is a pretty chinchilla. I don't see any sign of damage though.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Snickerdoodlesmom

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2012, 09:32:50 AM »

:::grins:: thank you! he is my pride. ill post another recent picture just in case.

Snickerdoodlesmom

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2012, 03:45:28 PM »

I just caught snickerdoodle chewing on his hip and arm. It looked like he was itchy though.

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2012, 05:16:16 PM »

I wouldn't worry about it. All animals do that on occasion. Obsessing over one area and chewing fur until it is damaged and ragged is another story and there doesn't seem to be any signs of that here. Even if that does occur it is not uncommon and usually reverses when the underlying cause is found and dealt with.

If your chin is constantly doing this then you might want to look into other causes.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2012, 08:58:00 PM »

Breeding an animal does not mean you will continue personality. You will not get a mini version of your current pet. Honestly if you pair a chinchilla and produce kits you are a breeder even if it is "only for you" male + female= babies   babies=breeder, breeding for personality alone makes you a backyard breeder.

A chinchilla can develop personality with the care it recieves. I have a mean momma known for having sweet kits,

And you can treat Malo for a little while but it will eventually kill the chinchilla and it is a horrible way to die. The treatment is painful too and is a poor quality of life so you would not want to risk bringing more malo into the world.

It sounds like your chinchilla is grooming not chewing
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

Snickerdoodlesmom

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2012, 04:49:03 AM »

I didn't think I would. I thought I'd continue the temperament. What is a backyard breeder? I know nothing about breeding, but I assumed that the animals' instincts would take care of that for me.

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2012, 07:59:49 AM »

Hereditary malocclusion is different than tooth spurs that may occur because of poor diet or sickness. Tooth spurs can be filed off but true malo occurs at the roots that cannot be accessed. It is caused by defects in the skull itself and I've seen several really good photographs of this online where the roots grow up though the skull and into the eye sockets. The trauma to the back of the eyeballs causes chronic eye infections and sometimes loss of the eyes. Usually a pet owner will put the chin down before it gets that bad.

This is why watery eyes and loss of appetite are considered to be indicators of malo (although a simple eye infection can have the same symptoms) but malo will show up on an xray. The pain from the infections and trauma usually results in the chin going off its food and then starving to death from GI status after days of the owner doing everything possible to hand feed medications and food by syringe.

If you really would like to breed for the cost of a couple of x-rays you could couple of good breeders from a someone who knows their line and might be willing to help you with good advice. I highly recommend that you get a membership to chinchilla club so you have access to documentation that can help you with this too. There are still a lot of different things that can go wrong that you must be prepared to handle even death of the mother and babies from circumstances you may not be able to control. Although I have never bred chins I have cared for many other kinds of farm animals and I have seen many successful births but sometimes it can get very messy and might not turn out as well as you would expect. I see nothing wrong with breeding pets but I think it should be done with a full understanding of the risks involved and with measures taken to minimize those risks. And also there's a possibility that your well tamed pet might not be so tame in the end.

After what I went through with my rats and their gigantic tumors (Though I never bred them every rat from that store had them) I will personally never breed pet store stock of any kind.

AnnieHank

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2012, 10:22:21 AM »

Another thing to consider is what to do with the babies. You might be prepared for one litter, or two but you can't really stop there. They could just keep coming about once or twice a year and you might have to find homes for them for the rest of the breeding pairs lives because if Snickerdoodle and a female are bonded, separating them would be quite traumatic and neutering isn't always safe. I lost my special little guy ten days after neutering.
 Are you prepared to have separate cages and separate playtimes for all the different little groups?
Having bred a little myself, I would recommend against it. If there's a female around, you have to keep boys on their own so each new boy is a separate cage and a separate playtime.
I'm sorry, I don't want to put a downer on you. Chinchilla babies are the loveliest things in the world but the painful decisions you have to make are not worth it. Unless it's your job to breed and rehome them, I would say it is a very bad idea.

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2012, 10:42:49 AM »

Backyard Breeder is a general term, often considered derogatory, used to describe people who breed animals, often without Pedigrees . In some cases the animals are inbred narrowly for looks with little regard to health back yard breeders tend to focus on "temperment" And "cute babies" as an excuse to breed lower quality animals. I(f you are not bettering the species than there really is no point to breeding the more positive term, "reputable breeder"  describes operations that use responsible methodology and practices.

It implies either or both of careless home breeding for non-commercial reasons or a for-profit small commercial operation that does not adhere to good breeding, care and sale practices.In dogs backyard breeders are often called a puppy mill .

This type of breeder usually exibits

Ignorance of selective breeding goals and techniques, and lack of familiarity with the breed standard of the type of animal being bred.

Exclusive focus on the breed standard involving little genetic screening or co-efficient of Inbreeding calculations. (like breeding for temperment) temperment is not primarily genetic it is learned.

Lack of adequate veterinary care and maintenance.

Excessive breeding from individual females, to the detriment of their health.

Sale of animals with genetic disorders or undisclosed illnesses before they become evident to buyers.

Lack of screening of potential owners or the provision of suitable information to prevent buyers from purchasing an animal that may be inappropriate for them or their lifestyle.

Breeding without concern for the possibility of finding homes, though commercial means or otherwise, for offspring, thus adding to the population of unwanted animals, there are thousands of chinchillas in rescues out there

That is what a backyard breeder is
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

Snickerdoodlesmom

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2012, 01:01:19 PM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in conclusion, there is no way for me to safely breed a petstore chinnie?
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up