Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help Please!  (Read 862 times)

bostonbcprs

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Help Please!
« on: May 22, 2012, 07:53:40 AM »

I have a 2 two week old chinchillas. They are with the mom and everything has been going great.  However, this morning i found one of the babies has a completely limp and wisted front arm. The other one is a little bloody but seems to work ok. I assume they got caught in something and were pulled out in panic. He doesn't seem to be in any pain but the arm is def not usable for him and I dont know what to do from here. I am also in between jobs right now and have no money for a small vet bill let alone a large one. Please help, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Snickerdoodlesmom

• Proud mom of Snickerdoodle
  • Appreciation points: 11
  • # of Chins: One
    • View Profile
Re: Help Please!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 08:23:20 AM »

In this situation, a vet visit is absolutely necessary. The lack of pain may indicate a need for amputation of the limb. With humans, in cases such as burns or other decomposition of tissue, it is best to feel pain, as that means that rescue of the damaged area may still be possible. If no pain is felt, the rotted area may begin to progress and kill surrounding tissue. Tissue death is almost always accompanied by infection. This condition is known as gangrene, and if left untreated, is often fatal.  a vet visit is a must if you wish to see the kit live.
My vet costs $80 for a consultation. I'm in NYC; if you're nearby, let me know and I'll give you the name and address. 
- Dvora, Snickerdoodle's Momma

AnnieHank

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
Re: Help Please!
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 11:10:41 AM »

Chinchillas are also great at hiding pain. Sometimes the first sign of pain is when the digestive system has shut down from stress and it's a bloody nightmare getting it started up again. Perhaps your vet might set up a payment plan so the kit can get the care it absolutely needs?
Pages: [1]   Go Up