Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: well have a new animal to add to my family ^_^  (Read 2916 times)

Skittlez

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
well have a new animal to add to my family ^_^
« on: May 20, 2012, 04:55:25 PM »

i found a baby sparrow (they are every where were i live) and before you say oh its bad or illegal please let me explain i tried to put him back the crack in my outside roof is to small i cant fit my hand the baby in.. i moved him to another nest i saw but no other bird when there hes very small i have found a dead baby sparrow same place i found him but a little bigger with more feathers so i fear the baby i found was a runt ive looked up pictures and mines very small for a 2/3 day old :( i think he was kicked out so im trying to get him a little bigger and once he starts to get his feathers i plan on trying to put him back or keeping him till he can fly it takes about up to day 8 or 9 for him to get all his feathers and fly from when i have read ive done everything and more to help him hes doing great hes chirping eating moving and going to the bath room im feeding him like it says to and keeping him warm like if he was in a nest i even move him so he thinks hes pooping out of his nest like the moms do sometimes well from what i have read now if i had called the pound or ASPCA they would have put him down he need around the clock care and its sad the pounds around here aren't every good :( so i thought hey doesn't hurt to try right? at least i could say i tried and did everything i could id rather him die with me then being ripped about by other birds and kicked out of a nest hes doing great and eating lots well what i let him i dont want to get him sick or anything just wanted to see if anyone else has a house sparrow? i dont want to keep him forever i plain on letting him out outside as he gets his feathers to see other birds fly and stuff so hes ready when can fly ^_^

lilchinchilla

• Appreciation points: 16
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Park Place
Re: well have a new animal to add to my family ^_^
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 11:52:07 PM »

There may be a wildlife place near you, that you can take him to? I know here, we have WildArc, and we can take any wild animals we find that are hurt or in need of help, there. They handfeed or care for them properly, with vets and other staff there, experienced in properly caring for the little animals.

Maybe you could ask the SPCA if there is a wild life rescue shelter around there to drop the little one off at? I would look into it, and suggest doing that, if you'd like to try. I do believe in fact it is illegal (at least here) to keep any wild animals.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 07:05:24 AM »

If it is an English sparrow it might be legal to keep. You should be able to check with state laws to make that determination and you will need to properly identify your bird. I'm assuming you're in the U.S.

It is best to find a pro if you can. Even doing everything by the book is sometimes not enough. I have helped to rehab the occasional wild bird in the past. Some efforts were successful and some were not. At the very least you might want to get a temperature controlled heat lamp setup. Baby birds have very little tolerance for temperature swings.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Skittlez

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 05:20:27 PM »

ive looked up pictures of an English House Sparrow which are legal to keep as pets and they are the ones that live every where in my town i mean everywhere! here in cali
from what ive read its legal to keep hes a runt his eyes are opening but his feathers arent really in yet http://www.starlingtalk.com/growingup10.htm in that link is pictures of a sparrow thats a little bit bigger then mine but the aging looks the same at day 5 its eyes are a little bit more open then mine so i think my birds 4 maybe coming on 5 days old his heads smaller then that so i think he was kicked out and i have him around 80 to 90 degrees ive check a few bird fosters sites and following them and ive looked hes gotten bigger from everything ive done ive looked it up and i guess its not illegal to have one in California and most parts of the US, my step dad has worked with the wild life people around here and he says they would put him down cause hes a runt and doesnt/didnt have a chances :( and ill get a lamp right now i have a heat blanket on low around 80/90 like ive read and he seems to be doing great i stay up most of the night checking on him every 3 hours im eating him every 45 mins

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 06:29:54 PM »

Doing what you are doing is certainly a respectable thing. It sounds like you have some good guidance. Be prepared for the worst but hope for the best. That is all you can do. The rest is in God's hands.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Skittlez

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 06:34:05 PM »

thank you i know im not getting my hopes up hes still very small i thank god for letting me finding him and having him for as long as i can in my life hes a vary funny bird ^_^

Skittlez

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 06:49:04 PM »

(day 1 5/20/12)
http://i320.photobucket.com/albums/nn359/vampire-princess4045/522848_3258436696137_1123734832_32392184_742794508_n.jpg
(day2 5/21/12)
http://i320.photobucket.com/albums/nn359/vampire-princess4045/72806_2164199760425_1709572015_1052387_973519790_n.jpg

my mom took the 2nd day picture after i fed him lol that the stuff on his beck ^_^

and the photo bucket is old lol made it when i was 13  haha!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up