Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chinchilla Research  (Read 1775 times)

mojito

• Appreciation points: 10
  • # of Chins: 2
  • chinchillin'
    • View Profile
Chinchilla Research
« on: March 01, 2012, 11:28:16 AM »

I'm currently a biology major at USC (South Carolina) focusing on genetics. There are a few research grants and scholarships for undergrads to encourage independent research. As far as I know, there are not many studies on chinchillas (especially as pets). I'm trying to come up with ideas for research so I'm reaching out for help :)

I would like to study the genetics of chinchillas, but other projects are completely fine too. I am limited to a certain amount of money and supplies, so I can't go too crazy.
I'm not sure if it'll get accepted but I figured it's worth a shot since I've been wanting to apply to do this.

Thanks in advance,
Anna

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Chinchilla Research
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 12:12:03 PM »

Genetics has a very wide scope. Are there any particular biochemical systems that you're interested in investigating? It seems like there's been a lot of study on pseudomonas infection and antibiotic resistance using the chinchilla's middle ear as a human analog. There could be data available from that research that could be an opportunity if you can gain access to it. If you mine the data you may not even have to touch a live animal depending on the project. It appears the chinchilla genome is being sequenced by the National Human Genome Research Institute. You might want to check that out too. Is your university capable of doing gene knockout experiments? That could get some attention.

For pet chinchilla tests I'm not sure what would attract a research grant. Biomedical related research is probably going the most attractive for that, the only other money making industry for chinchillas is one we don't like to mention here, but there are shared interests with the pet industry when it comes to health and care. You might look into that as well and collaborate with a major ranch to see what their needs are.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 01:33:25 PM by GrayRodent »
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

AnnieHank

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 03:12:34 PM »

Not exactly genetics but along a scientific vein; if you could develop a chinchilla contraceptive, you would be helping a lot of people and I'd imagine it'd make you stinking rich!  ;D

mojito

• chinchillin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 06:49:07 PM »

Well the first basic idea I had was to study a little bit more on Homo Ebonies since some breeders say that homozygotes mature much slower than other colors, hetero ebony not being affected.

I've seen a lot of that research and considered it, but I don't think they will count pure data mining as the research they're looking for. I didn't want to be too specific and potentially confuse anyone. Gene knockout experiments are pretty expensive although I do believe there is still a professor who specializes in transgenic mice; if so I plan on talking to him. Some ideas could be diseases (this could go into things like SNPs, etc), evolutionary ideas (like why they have long tails), even behavioral things would be okay. Messing with live chins would be almost impossible since they are not only expensive but I just couldn't do it! Genetics wise, I could ask chinparents to send in poop and extract DNA to study. I'll try to think of more ideas I just figured I'd ask now and really focus on it after all these midterms:)

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 07:36:46 PM »

Maybe you can look for nutritional discrepancies in the stool samples that could be connected to metabolism and hormone levels and try to find a genetic connection. Perhaps you can investigate which physiological mechanism is effected whether it be digestive, endocrine, or something intrinsic to the cell.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

mojito

• chinchillin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 11:41:16 PM »

Very interesting, I'd need to make it a little more specific but that's a really good direction about metabolism and hormone levels.

And AnnieHank, what a creative idea! I'm sure it would make me millions!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up