Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chinchilla toys?  (Read 3090 times)

Frostbound

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Chinchilla toys?
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2012, 07:11:52 PM »

I actually did get a pumice stone - the pet store I went to had no calcium stones, but one of the employees owns chinchillas and recommended the pumice ones to me. She is on a pellet diet, one of the higher-end brands I could find in the store.

Marip

• Appreciation points: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2012, 12:32:34 PM »

It is generally recommended not to give chinchillas extra calcium unless they have a calcium deficiency. As long as their front teeth are dark orange in color they should be okay for calcium. If you are feeding a pelleted diet they should be getting enough calcium as it's usually added. If they get too much it can cause kidney and bladder stones.

However it appears that calcium supplementing for chins can prevent malocclusion caused by calcium deficiency (which results in lowered bone density and structural problems), that calcium in the pellets might not be enough for some chins, and that bladder stones is very rare, whereas malo, caused by calcium deficiency is not. Which seems that supplementing will lower the risk of something that is relatively common but may increase the risk of something that is very uncommon. Other breeders have indicated they supplement and have not had any problems.

What are your thoughts?

actually that's really interesting cause like us there's some food like coconut is good for some things and bad for others. But like you said calcium is preventing commun diseases and can make uncommun disease so i'll keep giving to them.

And yes pumice sone must be more a less the same as calcium stone i use calcium stone and ive never heard about pumice stone on pet shops just to treat the hands  :::grins:: cause here in Portugal the pet shops are basicly dogs and cats  and we are not really developed about chins and like ferrets for pets but i ll try to get pumice stone myabe on the pharmacy ?

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2012, 01:10:33 PM »

If you want to give your a chin a pumice stone you might check the bird section at the pet store if they don't have a rodent section. It might be held in a plastic clip that can be discarded. I've never bought one from a drug store before. If it were my chin I'd give it a probably give it calcium block like yours.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Marip

• Appreciation points: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2012, 01:54:03 PM »

If you want to give your a chin a pumice stone you might check the bird section at the pet store if they don't have a rodent section. It might be held in a plastic clip that can be discarded. I've never bought one from a drug store before. If it were my chin I'd give it a probably give it calcium block like yours.

yeah ill just buy to try cause they dont pay a lot of attention on my calcium stone.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up