Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Chinchilla toys?  (Read 3089 times)

Frostbound

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Chinchilla toys?
« on: February 20, 2012, 10:31:40 PM »

Hello! I am buying a chinchilla in a week... yes, it will be my first one, so you can probably expect a lot of questions. I was wondering what sort of toys they like that I could put in their cage? At the pet store I saw that they had blocks of dyed wood hanging from the cage's ceiling, similar to what would go in a bird's cage, but I was hesitant to get that because I wasn't sure if the dye would be harmful. Is something like that okay?

In addition, I'm a bit clueless as to what sort of treats are good for them, so whatever you can recommend would be wonderful!

Any other chinchilla care suggestions you have would be awesome - I currently have the cage, large with platforms and coated wire, recycled paper-style bedding (Carefresh I believe), pellets, Timothy hay, a litter box with litter (also Carefresh), a small hut she can hide in, a dust bath, and I plan on getting a pair of marble tiles to put on the top platform that the chinchilla can use to cool itself (Put one in the freezer, switch it out every so often, etc.) Any other supplies I need would be greatly appreciated! Thank you. :)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 10:43:53 PM by Frostbound »

Marip

• Appreciation points: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Chinchilla toys?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 10:56:40 AM »

Hello! I am buying a chinchilla in a week... yes, it will be my first one, so you can probably expect a lot of questions. I was wondering what sort of toys they like that I could put in their cage? At the pet store I saw that they had blocks of dyed wood hanging from the cage's ceiling, similar to what would go in a bird's cage, but I was hesitant to get that because I wasn't sure if the dye would be harmful. Is something like that okay?

In addition, I'm a bit clueless as to what sort of treats are good for them, so whatever you can recommend would be wonderful!

Any other chinchilla care suggestions you have would be awesome - I currently have the cage, large with platforms and coated wire, recycled paper-style bedding (Carefresh I believe), pellets, Timothy hay, a litter box with litter (also Carefresh), a small hut she can hide in, a dust bath, and I plan on getting a pair of marble tiles to put on the top platform that the chinchilla can use to cool itself (Put one in the freezer, switch it out every so often, etc.) Any other supplies I need would be greatly appreciated! Thank you. :)

Hello so about the toys for chinchillas its really simple cause they just want things to bite but you should use natural wood without any treatments there are some things on pet shops like little trunks that they love, but nothing like dyed wood.

The dust bath its just to put like 15 minutes 4 times a week i don't know if you knew, and the calcium stonethat you must always have. I think is just that if you need something more just ask.

Frostbound

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 02:31:46 PM »

Calcium stone? I'm not sure I've heard about that. Is it something for them to chew on that I would just find in a pet store?

Also, what sort of treats would be good for them? I've looked it up on other sites but found some contradictions.

Marip

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 04:00:44 PM »

Calcium stone? I'm not sure I've heard about that. Is it something for them to chew on that I would just find in a pet store?

Also, what sort of treats would be good for them? I've looked it up on other sites but found some contradictions.

Yes i think calcium stone is the right name cause i'm portuguese and i am not excelent in english , but yes i'm surprised cause this is like a basic thing for them, is to chew and to wear down teeth(i saw this "to wear down teeth" on google translator so i don't know if is ok :P)and yes you will find the calcium stone on a pet shop and there are ones very good that have some food into.

About the treats there are on pet shops too like dehydrated apple and versele laga has some treats that are very good. I don't know if you said but you need alfafa too (alfafa and hay )i give hay every days and alfafa like one day yes next day no. what kind of food do you use?

Frostbound

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 04:11:36 PM »

Oh, do I need alfalfa in addition to Timothy hay? I wasn't aware of that, thank you.

Are treats like raisins and cheerios okay every now and then?

Marip

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 04:43:32 PM »

Oh, do I need alfalfa in addition to Timothy hay? I wasn't aware of that, thank you.

Are treats like raisins and cheerios okay every now and then?

you're welcome.

raisins yes they love but cheerios u mean our cheerios?

I forgot to say that some tipes of wood are really harmfull for chins you should see some sites or ask to your vet and please make sure that your bath sand have anti-fungus or buy to put into the sand you will find on petshops.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 04:30:01 PM by Marip »

mojito

• Appreciation points: 10
  • # of Chins: 2
  • chinchillin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 05:53:55 PM »

Human cheerios are fine (just regular non-frosted cheerios though)

It depends with the hay on what type of hay-based pellets you give them (if you feed Mazuri give them Timothy) although a bit of alfafa is okay a day I believe.

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 10:34:56 PM »

chins don't need extra calcium, unless you notice their teeth aren't the correct color, too much calcium isn't safe.

be careful at pet stores, most of the time, employees do not know anything.

i have a webstore with alot of everything on it, safe, quality and my prices are super good, from what everyone tells me. you might like it , checkit out, and if not, no harm done :)

www.tjschinchillasupplies.com
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)

Frostbound

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 11:15:13 PM »

Thanks so much! New question though: is paper/cardboard okay to let her tear up?

mojito

• chinchillin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 04:45:40 PM »

Most paper is bleached; so I wouldn't risk it. (if they eat like a small bite here or there its okay). Cardboard is okay in moderate amounts. I will let my chin have a toilet paper roll every now and then after I peel the glue off of it.

Marip

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 04:49:04 PM »

Thanks so much! New question though: is paper/cardboard okay to let her tear up?

the calcium stone is for them to wear out their teeths its not cause of less calcium cause you must know that if they dont wear out their teeths they can grow up to much and they can have a lot of problems.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 05:07:11 PM »

Might it be better to use a pumice stone?
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Marip

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 05:09:45 PM »

Might it be better to use a pumice stone?

no usually we use for all rodents a calcium stone i use calcium stone since i start creatting chins.

mojito

• chinchillin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 06:26:46 PM »

I use a pumice stone since I couldn't find any calcium stones. I think they basically do the same thing.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 06:50:00 PM »

It is generally recommended not to give chinchillas extra calcium unless they have a calcium deficiency. As long as their front teeth are dark orange in color they should be okay for calcium. If you are feeding a pelleted diet they should be getting enough calcium as it's usually added. If they get too much it can cause kidney and bladder stones.

However it appears that calcium supplementing for chins can prevent malocclusion caused by calcium deficiency (which results in lowered bone density and structural problems), that calcium in the pellets might not be enough for some chins, and that bladder stones is very rare, whereas malo, caused by calcium deficiency is not. Which seems that supplementing will lower the risk of something that is relatively common but may increase the risk of something that is very uncommon. Other breeders have indicated they supplement and have not had any problems.

What are your thoughts?
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up