Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chinnie sick - maybe??  (Read 866 times)

maheckscher

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
Chinnie sick - maybe??
« on: June 14, 2012, 04:05:48 PM »

Hey all!

Last night we had a scary moment with our baby chin (well, not a baby - he's 12.5 years old!).  He was running around at my parents' house and when I picked him up he was like jello - very lethargic.  He was also using one of his feet weirdly, so I thought perhaps he had broken a bone.  We cooled him down (his ears were somewhat pink) and he's hopping around perfectly normally this morning.  He's also eating and drinking some (though he's not eating his treats...this isn't too weird because he's picky and has already eaten all the ones he really likes).  His ears are a normal color and he's pooping normally.  So I'd think that everything is okay....but..

he's very hard to wake up!  Normally I just have to poke him once and he's up and jumping around, but now he's not waking up with multiple pokes.  Once he's up, he's fine, but again - taking awhile.

Is this vet worthy? We are on vacation so I don't have his normal vet here.  I'm afraid to rush to a vet if it's just him adjusting to the new house or just him repairing himself from yesterday.  Again, once awake - he's totally normal.  Running around, squirming in my arms, eating hay, jumping, etc. 

Thanks!

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Chinnie sick - maybe??
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 04:36:26 PM »

I think this is a classic case of heat stress. Sometimes other organs can become involved. I recommend you call your regular and ask what he recommends. This is likely an emergency that will need to be dealt with promptly.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up