Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Accidental death.... we need some advice.  (Read 2951 times)

Dr.Grant

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Accidental death.... we need some advice.
« on: February 17, 2012, 12:05:06 PM »

My family purchased a pair of male chins two years ago.  Although we all grew very attached to them, my 11 year old son was the primary care giver.  He has always done an outstanding job of caring for them and giving them consistent attention and love.  Both chins got along with each other remarkably well and, other than some dominating behavior, shared cage and pen just fine.

Two nights ago, my son tripped on a toy in the pen and accidentally fell on one of the chins.  The chin died instantly.  My son is completely distraught and is having a very difficult time.  I can't emphasize enough how careful, gentle, and loving he has been to these chins.  It was simply a freak accident but he blames himself.  We are dealing with that but also want to address his concerns about the surviving chin.  He is afraid that the surviving chin will not do well alone.  I would like to ease his fears but want to give him accurate information.  We are not opposed to getting another chin but want to make sure it is the right thing for the existing chin.

Any advice would be appreciated.

mojito

• Appreciation points: 10
  • # of Chins: 2
  • chinchillin'
    • View Profile
Re: Accidental death.... we need some advice.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 01:13:28 PM »

I am so, so sorry for your loss. Please let your son know that no matter how hard you try, there will always be accidents.

Your chin will probably seem a little down while he is trying to adjust being alone; I would watch him closely to make sure he still eats, is active at play time etc. I'm sure extra playtime and bonding will help not only the chin move on, but you guys as well. Since he is a few years old, I'm not sure if it will put more stress on him getting another chin right away, or if it may actually help. Hopefully someone who knows more about this will give you more advice on another chin or not, sorry that I can't be of any more help.

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 04:38:57 PM »

I am so sorry about your chinchilla.  As a parent my heart hurts for your son.  What a horrible burden for him.  I agree with mojito that getting another chinchilla at this point would be stressful for your chinchilla.  Is he eating and drinking like normal?

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 06:22:13 PM »

i'm so sorry for your loss and your son.. hopefully he can realize it wasn't his fault and that no matter how careful we are, accidents do happen.
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)

Dr.Grant

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 08:24:48 PM »

Just an update..... It's been 5 days since one of our chins died.  So far, our surviving chin seems to be doing o.k.  His eating and drinking patterns appear unchanged.  My son thinks he seems lonely but that may be more of a statement about how my son feels.  We have been spending extra time with him in the pen and he appears to be as active and engaging as ever.  Based upon the advise we've received, we are going to delay any considerations of finding another chin.  Although I know chins do well alone, it is still hard to see him by himself.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 05:44:10 PM »

Tell your son he's not along, I bear the same guilt myself and I'm an "old lady"
About 8 years ago I had some of my chins out for a run in their room. I was going back and forth the room filling dishes and stuff when one shot out from under the cages and cut right across in front of me. I kicked her in the head and she hit the concrete floor. She died in my hands with in minutes. ::cry222:::
I never thought I'd ever get over it, nor if I could continue breeding chins.
I did, I'll never forget it , but I am still breeding.  ::kiss99::

So hug him for me , he must be beside himself. :hugs:
Debbie.nl.ca

mojito

• Appreciation points: 10
  • # of Chins: 2
  • chinchillin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 06:25:21 PM »

So glad to hear that your chin is still doing good! The fact that he is able to handle this stress so easily is due to great care you guys are giving. Thanks for the update

Squirrel_Butt

• Appreciation points: 2
  • # of Chins: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 05:57:35 PM »

I'm so sorry for your loss.  Your son is not at fault in any way shape or form.  A chin is not an easy thing to lose.  Keep an eye on both the surviving chin and your son. The loss of a pet is depressing as it is, but in this kind of situation that sense of loss will be magnified for your son.  Keep reassuring him that it was an accident and that it wasn't as if he purposely did it.
Chip Raisin Bonnie Clyde
Pages: [1]   Go Up