Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Male chin less appetite  (Read 963 times)

TheFreedomAngel

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Male chin less appetite
« on: January 22, 2012, 10:21:43 AM »

Hi All,

I have 2 male chins (sapphire and chocolate) who live together, and they usually finish up 3 spoons of mazuri pellets after night feed and would be hungry in the morning. Recently I found out that theyre not hungry in the morning and the dish still has about 1 spoon of pellets left (all half bitten). I also found some light greenish colored solid round-shaped poop that are different from the normal long black ones. In the morning I tried hand feeding the chocolate chin with pellets and he seems to be eating, but the sapphire one does not eat. Both however seems normal and not sick. Both would still crave the usual oatmeal treat I've been feeding them occasionally.

I am not sure which of the 2 has less appetite, and why the loss of appetite, and why the light-greenish-colored solid poop.

Has anyone seen this situation?

Thanks,
TFA

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Male chin less appetite
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 04:27:51 PM »

JoAnn has posted some information related to chins on antibotics. http://www.chinchillaclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,3476.0.html She says that greenish colored droppings are a sign that the food is not being digested properly and if this is not treated it could lead to a blockage. Loss of appetite may be a symptom of potentially serious problems. You need to find out which animal is having problems and know which is which.

Half-eaten pellets may be a sign of tooth problems. It could be that one animal is eating normally and the other is not. You should consider having this assessed by a veterinarian promptly.

Hope this helps
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up