Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Molly's new cage! I want to do it right!  (Read 1860 times)

Brothersport91

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Molly's new cage! I want to do it right!
« on: January 13, 2012, 04:41:24 AM »

So molly got a new cage. It's the biggest one she's ever had at 5 feet wide, over 3 feet tall, and 18 inches deep. I paid $40 to a guy on craigslist for it, which i consider a great deal. It's huge and has about 15 doors that slide upward to open. (BTW she's still in her old cage.)

Right now it's completely empty. Just a shell. It seems a bit unstable. My original plan was to deck it out with wooden ledges and shelves but i don't know how they'll hold. Right now i think my best bet is to put in shelves that fit in the 18 inches from front to back at various heights that will become platforms. I'm hoping this will add to the stability of her cage so she can continue her wall-jumping safely. : )

Has anyone had this issue? how did you overcome it? also, can plexiglass be used to make more lightweight shelving? Maybe covering it in fleece to make it safer and less slippery??? And, as i'll be only using a couple of the 15 doors, do you have any suggestions as to keeping the other ones closed??

Thanks a ton
Sam

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
Re: Molly's new cage! I want to do it right!
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 03:57:36 PM »

hi,'
sorry but i have no ideas on how to make it sturdy, but i do know plexiglass is not safe.
jean
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)

Marip

• Appreciation points: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Molly's new cage! I want to do it right!
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 06:14:35 PM »

So molly got a new cage. It's the biggest one she's ever had at 5 feet wide, over 3 feet tall, and 18 inches deep. I paid $40 to a guy on craigslist for it, which i consider a great deal. It's huge and has about 15 doors that slide upward to open. (BTW she's still in her old cage.)

Right now it's completely empty. Just a shell. It seems a bit unstable. My original plan was to deck it out with wooden ledges and shelves but i don't know how they'll hold. Right now i think my best bet is to put in shelves that fit in the 18 inches from front to back at various heights that will become platforms. I'm hoping this will add to the stability of her cage so she can continue her wall-jumping safely. : )

Has anyone had this issue? how did you overcome it? also, can plexiglass be used to make more lightweight shelving? Maybe covering it in fleece to make it safer and less slippery??? And, as i'll be only using a couple of the 15 doors, do you have any suggestions as to keeping the other ones closed??

Thanks a ton

hello! you should buy that beds in cloth and some wood toys to suspend and some wood houses too. what is plexiglass? what do you want to cover with fleece?(sory but i'm portuguese and not excellent in english :P).
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 06:16:12 PM by Marip »
Pages: [1]   Go Up