Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Emergency...White milky liquid  (Read 8300 times)

RENEE~DASH

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Emergency...White milky liquid
« on: January 08, 2012, 08:48:51 PM »

Hello,

My Chinchilla had this milky white liquid that has been coming out all day today.  I have a Vet appt for her tomorrow, cause they said it was not that urgent.  Does anyone know what that is and what I should do? She keeps licking and pulling at it because she is all wet and it smells.

Please help!

Thank you in advance!

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: Emergency...White milky liquid
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 08:07:01 AM »

Coming from where?  I'm guess an infection.  If the vet puts her on oral antibiotics don't forget to give her live active yogurt (like activia) between doses. (example, if you give meds at 4 pm and 8 pm give yogurt at 6pm and 10 pm.  This helps keep the digestive tract working properly.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

RENEE~DASH

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 12:19:14 PM »

I think it is coming from her Butt.  Her tail is all wet and her butt is all wet along with her back paws.  She keeps licking it all. 

I have a Vet appt today.  I took some q-tips and took samples of it last night and put it in a bag.  She seems to be doing better today, but I slept next to her cage last night to make sure she was drinking water and she was ok.

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 01:01:32 PM »

Let us know what the vet says.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 10:23:35 AM »

Could she just be in heat?
Debbie.nl.ca

RENEE~DASH

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 11:23:24 AM »

Hello,

What do Chinchillas do when they are in Heat?  I went to the Vet and nobody is explaining to me what is going on with her.
They ran some tests of the white liquid that was coming out of her and she said that there is a lot of bacteria in the swabs that I took of it.  Then they swabbed her v area inside and they tested that and it came back with a little bacteria but a lot of white cells.  They don't know if the bacteria is in her uterus which they told me can not be cured, but if it is in her bladder then I can give her antibiotics.  So, they gave me the antibiotic and I went and got some activia.  Dash will not take either one and when I have tried all different ways for both the activia and medicine she gets so stressed out and I don't want to put her through that either because clumps of fur was coming out, so I stopped and let her relax.  Last night was the first night since she has been sick that she did not poop much at all.

The doctor told me that her fur is in good condition, her teeth are perfect, her ears are good and they checked her stomach and eyes and those are fine too.  I brought in all the things that I give her...(food, treats etc) and I took pictures of her cage and the stuff in the cage and the dr said that everything that I am doing is good.  I just want to know what is wrong with her.

Squirrel_Butt

• Appreciation points: 2
  • # of Chins: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 08:03:41 PM »

If it is in the uterus it has to be removed. Ovario hysterectomy.  Sounds like she has pyometra.

If that is indeed what she has, you don't have long to decide.  You have to decide between a condition that will kill her, or an operation that may save her but carries risks.  If you wait too long to decide, she will get weak to the point she wont survive anesthesia.  

If it is not pyometra and just a bladder infection and you are not able to give her the meds, you could keep her as an in patient. This will jack up the cost of the total bill though. And you have to be sure that they do overnight observations. Some vets do have that, some don't.

This worked for me for one of my chins:  Just put the syringe tip in the cage. She will then try to nibble on the tip. That's when you slowly press down on the syringe. Don't try to do it too fast. It could enter her lungs and cause more problems. Keep in mind that this trick may not work.

Is she alert and active now? When mine had pyometra she was EXTREMELY lethargic.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 08:10:11 PM by Squirrel_Butt »
Chip Raisin Bonnie Clyde

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 07:26:14 AM »

We have an article on that at www.ChinchillaMagazine.com  Unfortunately you have to be a Chinchilla Club member to access the magazine articles so I will post parts of it here:

PYOMETRITISAND PYOMETRA
Author Lani Ritchey
CALIFORNIA CHINS

Pyometra is a pus-filled uterus that occurs during or just after pregnancy in mammalian females.

Pyometritis is a pus-filled uterus that occurs after ovulation in nonpregnant mammalian females.

They are both bad news. Except for the distinctions between pregnant, postparturition or nonpregnant, the two are considered the same disease and treated essentially the same way. They are a hormonally induced disorder.

The current theory is that the uterine lining wears out over years of progesterone influence and the presence of estrogen further weakens the uterus, making it susceptible to bacterial infection.

The common symptoms in mammals include:

fever
vaginal discharge (only if the cervix is open)
abnormal results of kidney or liver extreme thirst
elevated white blood counts
enlarged uterus (via x-ray or ultrasound)
vomiting
dehydration
bloodshot eyes

Practical treatments vary with the species. If future breeding is not important to the owner/breeder, then spaying the female is the best choice.
If you have time and money, there are several choices. Not all of them are 100% effective. There is the antibiotic treatment- it is often inadequate and doesn't prevent uterine scarring which can cause sterility. Another treatment is very controversial. A prostaglandin that blocks the production of progesterone which in theory allows the uterus to return to a healthy, quiescent state, the cervix slowing relaxes and the pus discharges or is evacuated.Obviously for chinchilla people, you get to deal with even more unknowns than human, cat,dog, or horse people do. The disease is well-documented in the more common (well-researched) livestock and companion animals. There are pathology reports confirming the condition in chinchilla females.The main questions are-how many females are you losing to it and what are the financial losses being occurred from losing females of reproductive age?If you are losing too many females to these problems, then you have an underlying problem triggering it. Look to nutritional, sanitation, breeding practices and other management practices. For the pet chinchilla owner, there is only one practical solution and that is spaying the female immediately.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 07:27:26 AM »

Note: This was written to include all mammals.  Chinchillas can not vomit.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

RENEE~DASH

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 10:13:35 AM »

Thank you All!

I have decided since she will not take the Activia or meds from me, she is now in the hospital for 10 days.

I just don't understand because the dr checked everything and she was fine, except for the bacteria and white blood cells.  She is very Active...She came out of her cage on Tuesday and was running around and then went back in for some water, ran on her wheel almost all night (she loves her wheel).  She doesn't seem like she is weak or anything.  To me she seems back to normal after Sunday when all the milky liguid came out...When my alarm goes off in the morning she is waiting for me to clean her cage and pet her and say good morning and when I go take a shower she always goes in her igloo and sleeps and then when I get home from work she is on the top of her cage with her head squeezed inbetween the cage bars waiting for me to open it and give her her treats and fresh food.  She eats her food and her treats and still plays.  So, I am completely confused.

I am going to see her tomorrow to give her a bath and clean the cage, so I will bring what you ladies have told me and ask the dr. 

Thanks again.

AnnieHank

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 11:13:51 AM »

Good luck. I have my fingers crossed for her and hope she's okay.

RENEE~DASH

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2012, 11:20:58 AM »

Thank you sooo much AnnieHank!  I pray she's ok!

Squirrel_Butt

• Appreciation points: 2
  • # of Chins: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2012, 04:32:32 PM »

The fact that she is active is a good sign. When Frisbee had it, there was no discharge noticed. Just lethargy and no appetite. She was thought to be a male so we only found out she was a female during necropsy.

Good luck.  You might want to visit her as much has you can. That way she will not think you have abandoned her.  The hospital stay is stressful enough for them.

Chip Raisin Bonnie Clyde

RENEE~DASH

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2012, 04:39:15 PM »

Thanks!  I have scheduled visits.  I get to see her tomorrow and play with her and give her a dust bath.  ::silly::

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2012, 02:45:59 AM »

best of luck, keep us posted
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)