Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some new owner questions  (Read 4129 times)

Darby

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Some new owner questions
« on: December 22, 2011, 08:02:21 PM »

Hi all,

I'm looking at getting a chinchilla and I have some questions before I get one. Any help is very much appreciated!

1. Do they smell?
2. Would my bedroom with limited noise  be a suitable place for my chinchilla cage?
2a. Would it be best to close the bedroom door or leave it open?
3. If supervised, could I let my chinchilla run around my room for play time?
4. Do chinchillas like to hide when they are let out to explore like rabbits?
5. Do chinchillas like to be held and cuddled during play time?
6. Would the wood toys, even the colored wood, be a suitable toy for my chinchilla?
7. Where is a good place for buying quality toys?
8. When I first bring my chinchilla home, how should I go about introducing it to myself and getting it used to it's new home?
9. What is the best chinchilla food to feed them from petco or petsmart?
10. If the chinchilla is bonded with me, would it be friendly toward other family members that live in the house?
11. How much time is recommended to spend with my chinchilla each day to keep it happy and healthy?
12. Would my chinchilla be okay if its cage is somewhat close to a window?
13. With my cage, I will need bedding at the bottom and in the nesting box, correct?
14. When I clean the cage, will I need to take every toy and shelf out and clean it or do they pick on corner to go to the bathroom in? I will obviously change the bedding anyways and in the nesting box but just don't know what to expect.

Thanks for any and all help. I know it's a lot of questions so any help or advice or any kind is GREATLY appreciated. I'm just nervous and want to give my chinchilla the best home it can have. Thank you again!

--Darby
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 08:49:14 PM by Darby »
--Darby

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
Re: Some new owner questions
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 05:58:14 AM »

hey darby, i'm going to answer these the best i can:

1. Do they smell? no. but there are associated smells - hay, bedding if you use it, sand bath
2. Would my bedroom with limited noise  be a suitable place for my chinchilla cage? - yes but you need to remember that they are awake at night a lot and they can make quite a racket on the wheel :) also, the room needs to be kept at quite a low temperature so you may need an aircon running if it's warm out.
2a. Would it be best to close the bedroom door or leave it open? i keep the door of the room where the chins are closed simply because they should not be exposed to drafts, they also react to noises so with the door shut they may feel safer. however, if your house is draft free and there are no new noises occurring every day, i don't see why you couldn't leave it open, they would get used to whatever's happening on a daily basis
3. If supervised, could I let my chinchilla run around my room for play time? yes, if you're not particularly bothered about having your wallpaper and furniture nibbled. some people have chinchilla proofed rooms (some use bathrooms), in my old house they were in the library and they did eat the wallpaper and some books although thankfully never attempted cables. you'll have to keep a close eye on them when they're out.
4. Do chinchillas like to hide when they are let out to explore like rabbits? yes. it's a good idea to prevent them from doing that as they could start eating something unsuitable while hiding and if you can't get them out then it's not great. but they do enjoy running around and explore the room, using you as furniture if you sit on the floor, they will climb onto you, it's very cute :)
5. Do chinchillas like to be held and cuddled during play time? from my experience, no. i have one boy that actively asks to be picked up but hates being held (go figure) so you pick him up, he wrestles with you, you put him down, he asks to b picked up again.  ::) mae, my rescue girl will happily be held but if you gave her a choice, she'd prefer you didn't cuddle her. the rest tolerate being held but certainly don't enjoy it. what they do like, however, is tickling and scratching around their head, some like stroking down the back - it varies for each. i think if they're on the floor, it doesn't feel as much as them being carried away by a predator.
6. Would the wood toys, even the colored wood, be a suitable toy for my chinchilla? yes and they love them. you need to be careful - and this goes for food, treats and everything else - there is no legal requirement for manufacturers to make sure a pet product is suitable for the pet it's labeled for and often they are not so you have to check yourself. there also is a lot of contradicting info out there. i find that my chins don't particularly like the wooden blocks but they like sticks and balls etc. quite often, i order stuff for them and they go absolutely crazy for a new thing so i order lots and lots next time and they go 'er.. mother.. not too keen on these anymore'
7. Where is a good place for buying quality toys? there are some good internet shops - i'm in the uk but i'm sure our us members will give you some info!
8. When I first bring my chinchilla home, how should I go about introducing it to myself and getting it used to it's new home? generally you would leave him/her alone for the first couple of days just so he/she can get used to the environment without a person nosing around. then, it very much depends on the chin how quickly you get friendly with one another. best thing is to put your hand in the cage and let the chin come to you. giving a bit of food (if it's younger than 6 months treats are not a good idea) and hand feed builds confidence. they will nibble on your hand and you have to make sure you keep moving it slightly, otherwise they bite down too hard - quite painful!
9. What is the best chinchilla food to feed them from petco or petsmart? i feed a mix of beaphar care+ as some of my chins have teeth problems and science selective chinchilla food, i don't think these are available in the us but i think lots of people feed mazuri or oxbow over there. and timothy hay. the important thing to remember is to feed high quality pellets and not chinchilla mix.
10. If the chinchilla is bonded with me, would it be friendly toward other family members that live in the house? probably but it will depend on the effort other family members make! my first chin absolutely loved me and disliked everybody else!
11. How much time is recommended to spend with my chinchilla each day to keep it happy and healthy? it varies. if they're in your bedroom, you'll probably spend enough time. i find that my chins are awake at different times of the day. the boys you don't even see during the day, they're in their snugs/tunnels and would get really grumpy if i tried to wake them up. girls are always alert. they sleep but they also wake up as soon as you walk into the room.
12. Would my chinchilla be okay if its cage is somewhat close to a window? yes but it needs to be draft free and they cannot be in direct sunlight.
13. With my cage, I will need bedding at the bottom and in the nesting box, correct? bedding - if you choose to do bedding, it shouldn't come in contact with the chinchilla as they would get soiled bits onto the fur. i don't use bedding as i use fleece pads instead - this is not suitable to all the chins as some may chew it. nesting box is good, any housing is good as they enjoy hiding :)
14. When I clean the cage, will I need to take every toy and shelf out and clean it or do they pick on corner to go to the bathroom in? I will obviously change the bedding anyways and in the nesting box but just don't know what to expect. you will need to clean the shelves but you won't need to take them out for it. they tend to go in a corner but sometimes they decide to pee on a shelf.

oh, one more thing - have you considered getting a pair of chinchillas? they do much better in pairs and they will love you just the same. but you will have to make sure that they are the same sex (triple check! lots of people who sell them don't sex them correctly!)

Darby

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 04:09:05 PM »

Thanks SO much for the help!! It means a lot! Yes, I have considered getting a pair but I'm not sure if I could keep up with both of them. Are the girls more outgoing and affectionate than the boys are in general? Of course it depends on the individual chinchilla. Also, I have 2 birds and several dogs, do you think that the chins would get used to the noise over time or would they need a home with less noise? And one last question, do you think that either the chin would become used to my routine everyday and know when I'm sleeping and become less active at night if I play with it a lot during the day, or would I just need to get used to falling asleep to chinchilla noises? I'm a pretty sound sleeper once I'm asleep. Again, thanks for all the help!! It really means a lot!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 04:19:17 PM by Darby »
--Darby

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 08:48:44 AM »

it actually takes less effort to take care of two than of a single one (unless their in two separate cages in which case it obviously takes longer to clean up and have run around time) - you basically do the same thing as you would do for one chin with the added bonus of the chin having a mate who's there all the time, even when you're out of the house. my first chin was on his own and he absolutely loved me but when i introduced him to fluffy, it was a whole different story. a pair will sleep together, cuddle up together, chins generally handle stress better when in pairs. obviously the thing to consider is vet bills as there will be two instead of one if there is sickness and two will eat more and destroy more toys than one. but if that is not a concern, i would say that a pair is better than a single chin. i currently have a boy who's on his own as it's taking some time to introduce him to the girls and he really is the saddest chinchilla of my six. bless.

i have three dogs but they have no access to the chin room as one of them is an exracing greyhound and he'd kill them or at least try. but, they do bark and chins don't mind. they prick ears if i'm in the room and the dogs run up or down stairs but that's it. it's quite handy for going to the vets as they don't stress out when they hear a dog bark.

not sure if girls are more outgoing than boys. it very much depends on the chin but from my experience, girls are more awake than the boys.

you shouldn't really play with the chin a lot during the day, while some of them are quite happy to wake up and see you during the day, it's best to follow their natural rhythm. they are, supposedly, crepiscular, which means they're most active during dawn and dusk but they're also more active at night than during the day. if you disturb them when they need to sleep, you're going to have an unhappy and very grumpy chinchilla, probably ill one overtime.

i'm wondering, have you considered degus? i recently adopted four and they are awake during the day so may be more suitable for you, are very chinchilla like but a little smaller and are very friendly - they will climb over you and mine are very happy to be held and cuddled. you have to be very careful with their diet but you do with chinchillas as well. you do have to keep them in groups or pairs though.

Darby

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2011, 02:30:14 PM »

I have done more research and I do think I need a pair. I think once I actually started to see how they act and what time they are most active I could get into a routine with them for play time.

I'm happy to hear the dog noises do not bother the chinchillas. I never thought it would help with going to the vet but now that I think about it it would be handy.

I have not considered a degus. I have wanted a chinchilla since I was little, ever since my mom told me about her experience with chinchillas. I suppose it's a possibility but right now I am focusing on chinchillas. Thanks for the suggestion!
--Darby

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2011, 04:44:02 PM »

it very much depends on the chin but you can usually have them out for a play at 7pm without them getting grumpy. some chins don't mind being disturbed during the day but all mine apart from mae wouldn't be too pleased with me.

chinchi lived in my bedroom and he didn't seem to mind noise during the day but i would only pester him if he was awake. he would put his chews in his wheel and run with them at night  ::) an he would quite often call me at night.

chinchillas are incredibly sweet and when they accept you, it's the cutest thing ever.

Darby

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2011, 06:07:33 PM »

That's SO adorable!! I think I will just need to get to know my chinchilla. Everyone one is different. I'm just worried about getting everything right. I want to give my future chin a great home!
--Darby

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2011, 07:39:02 AM »

i'm sure you'll do a great job :)

Darby

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2011, 12:11:51 PM »

Thanks! and thank you so much for helping with all m questions!!
--Darby
Pages: [1]   Go Up