Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: New Baby Chinchilla advice  (Read 3677 times)

MelC

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
New Baby Chinchilla advice
« on: December 05, 2011, 04:25:27 PM »

Hello my name is Melissa. soon I will be a new owner of a baby chinchilla. I have done my homework and I am pretty certain that I know what I have gotten myself into. Any advice you could give me would be great. ;)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 04:30:06 PM by MelC »

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: New Baby Chinchilla advice
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 04:42:09 PM »

How old is it?
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

MelC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 05:10:28 PM »

She was born 10/9/11. 2months old

AnnieHank

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 08:34:11 AM »

You've done your research so you probably know most of what I'm going to say but just in case, here goes a list of the basics...

Make sure the temperature never gets too hot. Chinchillas can handle cold much better than heat.
She should only be fed hay and good quality pellets and plenty of fresh water until she is about 6 months old, then you can gradually introduce the odd treat like a raisin once a week. I have an apple tree in my back garden and I've taken off a load of twigs, cooked them in the oven at a really low temperature for ages to dry them so they won't get mouldy and I give them the twigs as treats and to let them wear their teeth down. They were a bit skittish at first and don't really like being petted but they allow me pet them now while I hold the stick and let them chew it.
She will need a chinchilla proofed space to run around in for at least 30 minutes a day. She is going to chew everything so be prepared for that. I will have to replace all the wood panels in my hall and bathroom before I return my apartment to my landlord at the end of my lease!
If you're only getting one chinchilla. she will need lots of attention and play time.
She only bathes in dust and her bath should not be made of plastic. I generally give mine the bath about 2-3 times a week.
She will need her cage cleared of poohs about once a day and fresh bedding at least once a week. I use a mix of fleece and sawdust.
You can't have any plastic near or in her cage. She will probably chew it and it could make her sick.
They like a quiet place to sleep during the day and are usually most active around sunset and sunrise.
Anything else?

Good luck and enjoy :)

MelC

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 09:26:49 AM »

Thank you. Is babies that skittish? Most the books I have just talk about teens & adults.

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 10:35:27 AM »

I keep hearing about using fleece. What exactly is this stuff?
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

AnnieHank

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 02:05:44 PM »

As to whether babies are skittish, it really depends. They all have different personalities. I had two kits born at the same time and one of them is very cuddly while the other has only recently been trained to let me pet him (using the apple wood as bribes!) If you're patient with your kit and introduce yourself slowly and on her terms, you should be able to build up a bond and gain her trust. Never chase her or grab her and be patient and let her come to you. It can be frustrating but it will pay off.

Fleece is a wooly sort of material. It could still make them sick if they chew it but I think it's popular because most chinchillas don't seem too interested in chewing it. You still need to keep an eye regularly to make sure it's not being chewed but mine are champion chewers and the fleece bedding and toys remain unchewed. Having said that, I wouldn't like to see what would happen to the fleece if they didn't have other fun things to distract them and lots of playtime. Mine have definitely expressed their boredom with their chewing habits in the past so I prefer to keep them entertained! I bought my fleece things from www.hammockyhammocks.co.uk and they've definitely made my life easier for cleaning up the cages.

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Fleece bedding
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 04:16:36 PM »

I looked at the website. When I was thinking of bedding I was thinking more along the lines of some kind of cottony substance like batting. Is this like a blanket that you spread over the bottom of the cage? Does it go over the whole floor of the cage or just a section of it? Could a piece of a regular fleece blanket work?

AnnieHank

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 01:59:28 AM »

Yup, it' just a fleece blanket. You have to make sure that there's no loose threads or seams that would be particularly nice to chew though!

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Using a fleece blanket as cage bedding
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 08:40:12 AM »

I have these questions:

1. How do you use the blanket? Do you spread it over the whole floor of the cage or only part of it?
2. How do you clean it?
3. How often do you clean it?

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2011, 04:47:43 AM »

i usually sew a few layers of fleece together (with seams inside) so it's more like a pad rather than a blanket. it covers the whole floor with one corner clear so they can pee there (they also tend to move it around sometimes) and i just wash it in the washing machine - you may want to put it in a pillowcase or a drawstring bag so the fur doesn't clog up your washing machine. how often, i just judge it as sometimes it needs to be more often but you'll be able to see when it needs washed. i have two sets and just swap while washing.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2011, 10:38:26 AM »

I am not a big fan of fleece, most will pee in the hammocks so your into washing them and the liners everyday or they are just sitting in pee. Most of mine chew it and it will cause blockages so if you see any holes remove it right away.
I do give mom a fleece blanket in her birthing house upon delivery but as soon as dad goes back out goes the fleece. Except for a covered tunnel that the kits can hide in. Once the kits are weaned all fleece is removed.
Debbie.nl.ca

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2011, 01:52:12 PM »

i have fleece everywhere (bottom of the cages, tunnels, snugs.. not that many hammocks) since chinchi had feet problems and none of mine sit in their own wee - they do, however, quite often pee on the wooden shelves and their hay and then obviously refuse to eat it  :noway: what can you do?

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2011, 08:43:36 AM »

::silly:: Your new baby is precious!!!

Keep in mind one thing ... all chinchillas are different ... some like to chew on things, some don't. Make sure you keep a constant watch ... if she starts chewing on something she is not suppose to chew on ... remove it immediately!

The more you learn about chinchillas ... more you find out there is to learn about them ... I started 20 years ago and am still learning!   :D

Below are three pages you might want to check out ...
http://luvnchins.com/qa.html
http://luvnchins.com/info.html
http://luvnchins.com/note.html

Good luck and keep studying and learning!
The next thing you learn ... may be the one that saves your Chin's life some day.   ::nod::

::wave::  Jo Ann

P.S. Below are 2 pictures of the distruction the head of our metal works division, Cotton, accomplished in an 8 hour period of time.  The metal rod and tray are made of aluminum, a soft metal.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 08:58:28 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

MelC

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2011, 06:01:08 PM »

Thank you All for your help!!

I get to pick her up tomorrow. I am excited/ nervous of this new adventure.

Melissa
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up