Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rat Poison!!!! :(  (Read 5055 times)

ExoticFamily

• Appreciation points: -8
    • View Profile
Rat Poison!!!! :(
« on: October 30, 2011, 09:56:44 PM »

One of my chinchillas ate 4 bites of rat poison (D-CON)!!!! I callled a few poison control places, and looked online, and the only thing I found was to feed Vitamin-K!  I just sent my grandma to the store to get it, but how much should I feed them, and since I dunno which on ate it, can I feed them all a lil just to be sure

ExoticFamily

• View Profile
Re: Rat Poison!!!! :(
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 10:41:34 PM »

I am extemely upset because i have NO IDEA why the rat poison would be there in the first place! We dont have rats, & Its the same living room that I let my Ferrets, chins, and even my hedgehog run around in! and my grandma was just watching them run around right now, and didnt even think about saying "oh by the way.. I just put rat poison out the other day!" WTF!!!!!  Seriously not cool!!
I am sorry but I am just mad right now! AND She has done it before, she sprayed Round-Up on the patch of grass that I used to feed to my Jackrabbit!! Then he died! and she tells me AFTER "Oh I forgot to tell you not to feed him that grass anymore!".  :doh: :'(       
Im sorry I had to rant!

I just hope it wasn't enough to hurt them! Because the poison control said if they did consume enough, it would eat their intestines!!!   Damn I am hella worried! I want to take it to the vet, but I dunno which one ate it, and I dont have the money to take all 3!

Im gonna pray real hard tonight, and I ask that if you do pray, would you please pray for my chinchillas also!
Thank you and god bless!

kneesaa

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 07:28:02 AM »

How are your pets?
Quyana Shannon Seager

ExoticFamily

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 01:54:01 PM »

So far they are looking good! I went out and bought new Tim Hay, and loaded their cages up with it, in hope that they would pass any poison (if they did eat it)!  I stayed up until 3 last night and kept checking on them! And today they all are acting normal! I just pray that they dont get sick!

kneesaa

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 07:56:26 PM »

That is good news, you would think that the poison would have gotten to them already. I would hope that you are out of danger now. But  we will keep praying for you all.
Quyana Shannon Seager

ExoticFamily

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 08:34:15 PM »

Thank you very much! Your support is extremely encouraging! Ive been praying that none get sick, and I have faith that it will all be alright!
Thank you again for your prayers and support!

XxMacxX

• Appreciation points: 0
  • Gizmo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 07:18:22 PM »

If the poison was affecting them, i would think that it would show fairly quickly. Chins seem to have fairly sensitive digestive systems. I hope all is still doing well, but even if they are, be aware if this ever happens again. I suggest that you take them to the vet immediately.

Squirrel_Butt

• Appreciation points: 2
  • # of Chins: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 02:32:28 PM »

holy s**t!   :o  You have every right to be angry. I have prayed for you and your chins.  I would definitely take as many as you can afford to the vet. Then the following week take the ones that you couldn't take the first week.  Chins are adept at hiding their symptoms.   

I would also definitely get the rat poisons the hell out of the house if there is no need for them.  Also you might want to do a thorough search of every room the chins could get into to make sure no hazards, poison or otherwise exist before you let them out.  Also make sure you ask if there have been any pest treatments done prior to letting them out in the future. 

Or if you can, designate a pest treatment free room for them to run around in.  Ban all poisons and traps from that room.  Create a customized " pest treatment prohibited beyond this point" sign.  You could Velcro it to the door to that room.
Chip Raisin Bonnie Clyde

PSV

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 02:06:43 AM »

I do not wish to scare you off but you should keep a close eye on the chin for at least a week.
Rat poison usually targets the coagulation of the blood. Basically it causes clots, therefore it's a slow process. Keep him on vitamins and give him a lot of liquids.
Oh and keep him isolated from the other pets. You don't really want him to interract with the other pets untill you're 100% sure he's safe.

texchin

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2011, 09:43:17 AM »

Not trying to add more worry to your already stressed self, but the Vitamin K antidote needs to come in the form of an injection and it needs to come from the vet. The Vitamin K you get at a drug store isn't the same and will not work. You need the form that is only available from the vet.

ExoticFamily

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 12:05:12 AM »

Thanks everyone for the replies! I have been keeping an extremely close watch on all of them lil boogers!  The have been fine so far, but I still have been babying them! They have been drinking water regularly and eating good, so no proble there! But I still checkup on them and their poop, just for any signs, and havent seen ANYTHING different! 

On a side note... I just got hired at a local Pet Smart, so hopefully I can teach them some proper care/handling techniques for their pets....when I got taken for a walk-through, I had already noticed and pointed out that there were 2 birds that were hurt, and being picked on by having too many birds in one cage!
Pages: [1]   Go Up