Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Want to own chinchilla  (Read 1671 times)

ChinC

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Want to own chinchilla
« on: October 11, 2011, 04:47:25 PM »

I want to buy a chinchilla from a local breeder but won't be able to at the time so my options is either buy from a person I don't nothing about or rescue one from petsmart,what do you guys think I should do?

Chinchillalove4

• View Profile
Re: Want to own chinchilla
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 07:40:45 PM »

Personally all four of my chins were from craigslist. they are all in good health and are great pets. as long as you are only looking for a pet and not to breed i would say either. its all up to you. most chins on sites like craigslist they know nothing to little about chinnies arent well taken care of as in the case for our most recent two but they have cleaned p\up real nice and are even starting to bond with us. so it depends how much you want to spend and if you are looking for gender specific because most petsmarts only sell males at least thats true in my state.

ChinC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 08:05:44 PM »

True I ordered the cage I'm anxious to have one lol

Chinchillalove4

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 10:38:26 PM »

they are great. they are my children pretty much they all have such different personalities too. different needs and likes.

Blondy40

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 06:24:49 AM »

I purchased my first two males from PetSmart because I could not stand to see them in that Plexiglass...they have been in perfect health..I have had no problems with them at all. My two females I found on hoobly.com and drove 6 hours to pick them up and they were well worth it. No health problems, were well taken care of by a 17 year old who just didn't realize the work and time they need (and they were keeping him up all night  ::nod::) My 5th chinnie I bought from a breeder and he had a furr chewing problem...he is in great health and has not chewed any fur since he has been with me. I have been fortunate and I believe if you look around you will find what you are looking for. I try not to have a negative outlook because if you do not take chances, then you will never know what you may be missing! Good Luck on your search...there is some sweet little furr ball out there waiting to go home!  ;)

ChinC

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 09:38:15 AM »

Blondy40 they have a male chin at my nearest petsmart the same color like the one in your avi

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 09:39:09 AM »

i got my first chin from a pet shop (pets at home). i went to get some hay for my guinea pigs, saw him and would not leave without him. he was the biggest, healthiest chinchilla and then we got fluffy - i live on the isle of man and there's a small pet shop whose owners breed chinchillas (but only have one breeding pair so not many litters) and they go to england and get animals from breeders and bring them to the island. so that's how i got fluffy. unfortunately, fluffy was sexed by both these breeders as a boy while she's in fact a girl - we only found out when she gave birth to three little babies. chinchi had to be snipped and sadly developed an infection and died after he had a reaction to the anaesthetic after a corrective surgery  :'(
fluffy has teeth problems but the vet isn't sure why. her back teeth grow at an angle but the vet thinks the overgrowth looked like several months affaire, up to a year.. but she's nearly three... so we're not sure what's going on. she's had four babies and they obviously stayed with us - they seem ok so far so fingers crossed.
my latest addition is mae. i rescued her at the end of october last year and she had about a week to live, the vet wouldn't even attempt to get an xray of her teeth because she was so malnourished she wouldn't have made it through the anaesthesia. i thought that if i could give her a few weeks in a nice home, it would be worth it. nearly a year on, she's thriving and now lives with one of fluffy's sons (he's neutered). to start with, she had teeth problems, gut problems, respiratory problems, chronic jaw bone infection and she only has three legs. her teeth have only been done once (she had one pulled out as well!), she still has gut problems so i have to be very careful with what i give her to eat, she still has respiratory problems but we can manage them so it doesn't even bother her anymore and the jaw bone infection we can do nothing about but she doesn't seem to mind it at all. she is the most affectionate, sweet little girl but obviously does require a lot of time. i wouldn't recommend getting a sickly rescue (healthy rescue by all means! it was absolutely obvious that mae was really unwell from the start) as your first chinchilla though. as rewarding as it is, it's hard - for the first four - five months i didn't know if she was going to make it - and they're incredibly good at hiding they're not feeling so good. i pick up that she's not well a lot sooner now than i did when i first got her although we do have a visit every now and then when she seems a bit off to me and the vet can't find anything wrong with her. but that's the better outcome than the other way round!

i think i would go the rescue way if i was getting another chinchilla, if i could (little island, not many rescues although i have seen somebody rehoming a couple of boys since i got mae). sure, you have a better chance of getting a chinchilla with less genetic problems from a reputable breeder but that's not to say that the chin won't develop a disease that's not linked to her lineage. they're awfully badly designed animals.

whatever you decide to do, good luck! hope you'll find the right boy/girl!

Mindy.Chin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 01:09:50 AM »

I got Mindy off of Craigslist, and she is wonderful! Some people get them from rescues, breeders, petshops... but in my opinion it shouldn't be WHERE you buy him/her, it's which one you buy. I looked everywhere for a good one, and once I saw Mindy, I knew she was supposed to be mine  :blush2:. Look around at different places, and you will know when you have found the right one!
Pages: [1]   Go Up