Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Two questions  (Read 1713 times)

AnnieHank

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
Two questions
« on: September 14, 2011, 04:23:37 AM »

First question: I remember hearing that chinchillas should not be allowed treats until they are 6 months. Well, my kits are a little over that now and I'm looking to bond with them a bit more. They jump all over us during playtime but do not like being petted much and they are still a bit nervous around us. They go through phases where they downright seem terrified of the big scary giant people!
The other night, I put one hand into the cage with a pinch of rolled oats in my palm and while Buddy was investigating them and nibbling, I gently scratched him behind the ear with the other hand. He twisted his head to see what was going on but then went back to ther oats and let me pet him. Later, during playtime, he sat still and let me scratch him behind the ear some more. I'd call that progress! Question is, how often can I give them rolled oats? I know raisins are pretty much once a week, right?

Second matter of business: I know it's considered a big no no to allow males and females playtime together but every few nights, I let all three out together in the small hall. I reckon it'll be easier to reintroduce them once Buddy has had his operation if they've been playing together. There have been a few attempts at, ahem, "cuddles", but I have always been able to deflect Buddy before he gets anywhere near to mounting either of the girls. The hall is so small that I can see everything and they are always within arms reach. Anyway, it's all been going very well, they've stop and sniff each others faces and carry on, jumping on our shoulders or whatever... until recently. Pixie has started jumping at Buddy and snapping at him. Other times, when they are sniffing each others face, one will let a little bark and run away. This mostly occurs between Pixie and Buddy but occasionally with Buddy and Annie. This isn't play right? I'm wondering if I continue to let them out together, maybe they might get over it in time? It might just be in my head but I think Buddy might be lonely because on the nights I let him out without the girls, he scratches at the door to the chilla bedroom and goes around squeaking. I've heard the girls making that same noise when they've been looking for each other in the bathroom. It's different from excited playtime squeaks.

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
Re: Two questions
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 10:49:38 AM »

yay well done on the scratches! i'd say a teaspoon of rolled oats twice a week is probably the limit. mae gets a lot of oats when she's not well because that's the only thing she'll eat and it hasn't caused any problems (she's the one with gut problems)

as for playdates. i would advise completely against letting the boy play with the girls. you may think you're near but the whole process takes seconds and you may not be that quick. the 'cuddles' may not be attempts to mate but rather dominance 'displays'. the noises could be mating noises? also, the mounting behaviour/noises may happen more often (or sooner during play time) when the girls are in heat - when i was introducing spock to mae, he would mount her straight away when she was on heat even though he's neutered. i really would say that the best you can do is wait for the boy has had the surgery and the six week period after. the barking after sniffing faces, mine sometimes groom each other and pull on something and get a bark. but there usually isn't any running away.
as for him scratching at the door, he probably wants to go see the girls! and while it may seem like the obvious thing to let him be with the girls, you are basically providing him with the opportunity to impregnate his mother and sister. i would wait. spend more time with him, let him have more play time on his own. he will probably still want to go see the girls but if you've ever seen a dog when there's a witch in heat near by...

AnnieHank

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 04:14:11 PM »

The rolled oats seem to be working great. http://youtu.be/uMFfGNb1rGk This is a video of Pixie (the bonkers one!) letting me scratch her head. I've only given them rolled oats twice and the kits are my best friends already! It might take a little longer with Annie, she's about 4 and has never been particularly fond of contact. She seems to be a little more set in her ways than the other two!
Another quick question- does anyone know what pooh with a kind of sharp end means? A few of Annie's poohs have weird sharp bits at the end, most are grand though. Is this anything to be concerned about?

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 10:22:18 AM »

yay! rolled oats!

pointy poos mean they're a little soft. i wouldn't be too worried now but keep an eye and cut down on sweet treats if you're giving any.

AnnieHank

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 10:55:54 AM »

Her poohs are still as hard as before, just with the funny pointy bits at one end. I haven't been giving any treats apart from the rolled oats and she'd only had them once when I noticed the pointy poohs. It's probably nothing, she's normal in every other way.
I don't think the rolled oats will work with her for scratches though, unlike the kits, she won't let me pet her while she eats them. She'd rather not have the rolled oats at all than be petted. I don't mind too much; that's just her way and I love her all the same!

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 09:04:53 AM »

you could give them to her one by one. not the same interaction as scratching, but still! :)

AnnieHank

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 02:05:31 PM »

That sounds like a good idea, I'll do that. If she lets me scratch her head, all well and good but if not, I'm really not too worried about it. She loves me in her own little way! :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up