Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Seperating????  (Read 1422 times)

trsanimallover

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Seperating????
« on: May 09, 2011, 03:00:30 PM »

My female's kit is now 7 weeks old now and is a male.  Have heard you need to seperate the males from the mother at 7 weeks.  I even found a companion that allows him to live in his cage.  I put him in there but then cries.  I take him out and put him in with his mother.  I'm afraid he will breed with his mother  ??? :-\.  Should I just leave him in with the male? ::shrug::

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
Re: Seperating????
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 03:05:31 PM »

7 weeks is too early. you need 8 weeks if he's the right weight. from what i've read, there have been instances where a 12 week old kit impregnated a female so at 7 weeks you shouldn't have any worries about that.

i would suggest you let the adult male see the kit for play dates (in an enclosed space) for a short amount of time at first, then longer. put something in there that's his. you're essentially putting him into a completely new scary environment, this may give him some comfort. 

is this cage in an area where they can smell/see the girls? if yes, you cannot have two males together.

trsanimallover

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 03:31:54 PM »

Ok thanks! :) ::chinhappy::  That's why my males were fighting and I had to separate them  :doh:   I will move the females thanks!!!!

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 09:36:16 AM »

which males are these? is it the adult and the kit? or just two boys that you had to split?

if it's the kit and the other boy, i would be very very careful, it's very easy for a grown boy to kill a very young kit. i'd do a few introductions and make sure they're grooming faces and are comfortable with each other.

trsanimallover

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 08:40:33 PM »

The older male got along AWESOME with Casper (baby boy) it's just the father who attacted him.  Casper is still in with his mother now as i was told to do :)  Thanks everyone for the help!  ::highfive::

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 01:34:05 AM »

yay! that's great! they still need to be away from the girls though, people have had boys turn against one another after living together without any problems... and then one day...

but that certainly makes things easier :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up