Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: How long after seeing and feeling babies move will she deliver  (Read 6735 times)

Seymour04

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile

So my female white mosiac is pregnant. I can feel and see the babies moving. I havent owned her long enough for it to be my male so the lady i got them from said her black velvet male used to get the girls threw the cage. There cages were side by side she said. Well my ? is when will she deliver? She is gaining weight good by looks and i can see and feel the babies like crazy. thanks

jbcstratton

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
Re: How long after seeing and feeling babies move will she deliver
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 01:03:10 PM »

If you can feel babies moving, you should have kits somewhere within the next two weeks.
Brandy

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 02:14:58 PM »

i just would like to add that i would monitor her water intake, they start drinking like crazy a few days before. she'll also spend a lot more time at the bottom of the cage when she normally wouldn't.

Seymour04

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 05:41:46 PM »

Ok ill keep a look out. She is still spending alot of time at the very top of the cage. Thanks for the help

AnnieHank

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 04:52:59 PM »

Both times just before my girl gave birth she didn't go to the bottom of the cage, she perched on top of her house, moved a lot less than normal but she did drink water like crazy and she had a look about her like a hen sitting on an egg. I don't know a better way to describe it but it was a very distinctive look!

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 09:34:10 AM »

my girl spent more time at the bottom a few days before, went into labour at the bottom, then just before squeezing the baby out, she ran all the way up and delivered in the snug. however, as soon as she checked the baby was ok, she went back to the bottom of the cage. after a minute i grabbed the baby and put it with her - she then cleaned it off. i thought she was having more, sometimes they clean them all together so we had a trip to the vet two hours later when no baby appeared (she wasn't having any more).

i do think that if i was not there, the baby would possibly not have made it because she didn't clean/dry her.

i would suggest you take shelves out so you only have a single level cage. i tried moving fluffy to a single level cage but she got so stressed out that i decided to leave her alone. i asked for advice and somebody said they have babies delivered in a colony cage all the time without any problems. she'd also had triplets in that cage before (we didn't know she was pregnant then).

but, a single level cage prevents mum from accidentally jumping on top of the kits, she can't run away from the kits when they want food and she's there to keep them warm. i would do this if you can.

Seymour04

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 01:51:00 PM »

Thanks for all the advise. She is spending more time in her house at the bottom but then i catch her hanging out on top. The cage i have has 1 inch spacing so once she has them i was planning on moving her to another 1 story larger bird cage i have with 1/2 inch spacing. My plan for them since i ahve 2 females and 1 male was to keep the moms in with the babies and put a border fence around the cage and take the male out to the smaller cage but since only one of my females is due i think ill jsut move her to the smaller cage. I dont want to move her till she has them since i dont want her to get stressed yet i dont want my male to get her since she has already been bred back. any adive. i need to look at getting a 1/2 inch spacing cage for all 3 but right now it not an option

AnnieHank

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 03:00:40 AM »

I was told by a local breeder that they can become pregnant from a few days before birth. Seems unbelievable but with my last lot, from two days before birth, my male became "very interested" in the female and we had to move him.

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 09:30:42 AM »

i would not let a male stay in with her if this already is a breedback pregnancy. you're not there 24 hours a day and might not be able to take him out quick enough. my fluffy (we didn't know she was pregnant, or indeed a girl) got pregnant on the same day she gave birth - we took chinchi out as soon as we found the babies but it was too late. thankfully she only had one baby and she did not nurse the triplets as she had mastitis so the strain on her body wasn't as bad.

if you want to leave her in the cage she's in at the moment, take the boy out and take the shelves out of her cage? can you do that?

Seymour04

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 07:39:50 PM »

Already moved him out. I was planning on keeping him in there but i will be putting him back in after a few days

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 09:38:51 AM »

you need to wait at least a week and then observe just how interested he is ;) as much as i'd like to think that the girls prefer to have the men there, it sure as hell can't be pleasant to be jumped straight after squeezing out triplets!

Seymour04

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2011, 11:47:59 AM »

So yesterday morning i caught my white mosaic in labor. She ended up having 3 babies :). She had all girls. 1 grey, 1 white mosaic, and 1 black velvet :)

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2011, 12:27:43 PM »

congratulations!!!!! :D pictures please? :) they sound gorgeous!

jbcstratton

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2011, 04:26:08 PM »

Is the father a black velvet then? Yes pictures please!
Brandy

Seymour04

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2011, 02:32:33 PM »

3 babies. grey, white mosaic, and black velvet. Yes dad was a black velvet

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up