Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is it worth it?  (Read 1811 times)

JRLeo

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Is it worth it?
« on: April 16, 2011, 07:09:21 PM »

Okay, So I've been trying to figure out how my little Leo could have some safe outside of his cage time. Of course NOT purely unattended. [I might sit on the floor and do some homework in my books.. Not gonna lie. Lol.]

I've tired just letting him run around my room, freely. Bad idea. Haven't had the chance to block off my bed yet.
He has a yellow ball, that is his size, and he seems to enjoy, but he doesn't get much time in it now a days, due to the fear of over-heating.
I'm going to try the bathroom idea, but I don't want to take up the bathroom for a good hour when I live in a house with three other people and it's our only bathroom. Lol.

So while I was walking around the pet store, just looking to check out cages, and see how much they are and what not, so when I get some extra cash I can get him a bigger cage, I came across playpens. And I was wondering if maybe that seemed like a good and safe choice for now? Or if it would seem more like a problem than a safe route.

This is about the one I was looking at - the large one, of course. http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2751787
I figure I could put some of his huts in it and what not to give him some places to hide in and feel a bit at home, but give him some run around room in a safe cut off area?
I know that they are jumpers. So I know I'd have to sit by the playpen and watch him.

But I was just wondering what any of you all thought, or if anyone has used anything like this? Is it a good idea to try this?  :-\

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: Is it worth it?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 08:08:43 PM »

That might slow him down for a minute but chinchillas can just 7 feet.  Yours will be scaling that pen in no time!

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 05:37:52 AM »

i agree, i think it's not worth spending the money.

what about a wheel? could you fit a flying saucer in the cage he's got? http://www.flyingsaucerwheels.com/index.html they are quite expensive but i have three in three different cages and they all love them.

JRLeo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 11:13:55 AM »

He has a flying saucer in his cage, but he doesn't use. At least not from what I have seen. I'm sure he's jumped on it to jump up on his roost, but that's about it, cause it does have paw prints along one side, but not all the way around it.  ::shrug::

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 12:43:28 PM »

ah. i think you'd hear it if he was using it :) they're supposed to be quiet but you can definitely tell when they're running. my house sounds like we're taking off when all wheels are used at the same time!

left027

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 09:25:49 PM »

I have a three foot tall playpen I got from petsmart that works pretty well.  I've had it for over a year and the boys haven't tried jumping it once.

animalluver

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 01:28:58 PM »

Leo would probably jump that pen. I have a baby who actually hasn't managed four feet yet, but she's starting small. My older one can do it no problem. If you're going after a playpen, I would look at one that's taller; like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Super-Pet-Pet-N-Playpen-Rabbit-Guinea/dp/B000MD3OJO/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1303154746&sr=8-6 . I'm not sure how tall it is but it looks to be taller than the other one, and wider as well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up