Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unsure of what to do.  (Read 2517 times)

JRLeo

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Unsure of what to do.
« on: April 10, 2011, 11:51:23 AM »

Hi! I have recently adopted a chinchilla [March 26th] because I felt that I have been in need of a companion in my life, and a dog just didn't seem to fit into my busy and stressful life. I use to own a chinchilla before [about 2 years ago, my ex-boyfriend kept him when we broke up] that I had gotten it from a human society, and of course to be expect they are both very different animals, but I am so unsure of what to do.

I adopted, Leopold from a lady and her two sons. I never meet them, I had my boyfriend go and pick him up for me, and it was my mother who found the AD and called for me, because she knew I really wanted another Chinchilla. They were the only two people that talked to the woman about the pet. I was told by my mother that Leo, who she called Rocky, I changed his name due to some personal issues between my sister and her lost cat, who was named Rocky. But anyway. I was told that Leopold was very friendly, didn't mind being held and would take treats from your hand and liked to run around outside his cage and play and that her two sons gave him  most of the attention.

I know it takes some time for your chinchilla to get use to you, and that they are very shy and easily frightened creatures, but I feel like either I'm doing something wrong, or how he was raised with his past owner(s) may have affected him? He's about 2 and a half years old, from what I was told.

When I first got him, he seemed okay with me. I was able to get him to sit with me - sort of, he struggled a bit, but at least he didn't bark at me like he would at my mom or my boyfriend if they tried to touch him. He even took a raisin or two, but mostly inside his cage, if he was outside he'd take it, nip it, and drop it. Which my old Chinchilla use to do too. But since then, he hasn't and won't eat any treats that I offer him.

When I let him out of his cage, he runs around for a little bit, avoiding me almost all the time, unless I'm laying on the floor on my stomach, and not looking at him, then he'll climb on my feet, the back of my legs, and run off. My room isn't very big, but it is the only good closed off room away from our two small dogs and our cats... I usually let him out after I get home from work, since I work closing shifts and it's after 11 pm I thought a Nocturnal pet would be perfect! Specially since I stay up late anyway. Sometimes when I let him out, I really just let him out run around, and I'll sit on my bed and do homework... Letting him do his own thing while I do mine. Of course he'll run around the room, jumping, sniffing and what ever else he does for a good 10 minutes or so, and then he'll retreat to hiding under my bed under I have to fish him out to go back into his cage.

At first, I would sit on the floor with some hay and try to get him to come to me, which he would, then I would pick up a struggling Leo, pet him and talk to him for a minute or two and put him back into his cage, where he'd run around and chew on the wire sides making loud annoying noises wanting to come out again. I was able to get him to come to me when I wanted to put him away after a few minutes of petting and talking, but a few days later he wouldn't come to me, he'd sit under my bed and stare at me, he'd come to me but if I made any movements to pick him up or touch him, he'd bolt back under my bed... So I went to using his favorite little pink house, and put bath dust into it. It'd take him a few minutes to come out from under the bed and jump into the bath, and once he was in, I'd block the hole and put him into the cage with his bath house... Which in affect, would cause him to jump out and try to race my hand to the door, which of course he never made it and would have his jumping and wire chewing fit again. Now he won't even fall for the bath time trick to getting him back into his cage...

I can't reach him from under my bed, and that's the only place he goes to when I let him out of his cage. I have tired keeping him in those plastic rolling balls that you can get for them so they can run around in a ball, but he doesn't seem to like it, unlike my past chin. He just sits in it, pawing at the sides wanting out of it... But I almost dread letting him out, because I know at the end of the night when I want to go to bed, I have to fish him out from under my bed... Which I hate doing. I know you're not suppose to chase them, but I don't know what else to do... I usually chase him out with a boom stick, and drop a towel over him, which keeps him from running away... but now he's getting tricky...

He won't have anything to do with me [I can still pet him under his chin or behind his ear when he's in his cage, but that's it], he won't take treats from me, won't come to me if I sit on the floor while he's out, and won't come out of his cage if I sit in front of the door. I fear that I might have ruined my bond with my little friend.

I've also thought about getting him a bigger cage, the one he came with is only a one level cage, and maybe a friend.. and hope maybe that might keep him from wanting to sit under my bed all the time and actually run around and play?

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
Re: Unsure of what to do.
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 12:26:12 PM »

ok. :) i can see how such situation would be upsetting. from what you've saying - that he was ok to come to you and sit on you etc to start with, i don't think this has anything to do with his previous owner (although you can never know).

i think it's more that he knows that you're going to put him back into his cage and he wants to be under your bed. i would try a few things:

1/block the access to under your bed. could you do that? put plywood or stack something in the hole? if he can't go there, he has to run around the room.

2/can he get back into his cage when he's running around the room? if so, i'd leave the cage open and let him go in and out as he pleases. then at one point you'll shut it but he won't know when you're going to do this. 

3/i would stop 'hassling' him for a while. don't give him treats (what treats are you giving him? sometimes sugary treats like raisins can affect their behaviour a little), i would stick my hand into his cage - not near him - and see if he comes near, if not, leave him to it, maybe he needs space.

4/does he have a lot of hiding places in his cage? a house? snug? tunnel?

has anything else changed? ffynn, one of my boys became very withdrawn a few weeks after we split him from his brother (we had to, there were girls in the room, both boys have now been neutered and are being introduced to girls so hopefully they should have live in friends soon) but he still takes stuff from you and treats you as furniture when he runs around the room. he's not keen on being handled or caught though.

JRLeo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 01:47:44 PM »

I haven't tried blocking off my bed yet, I've thought about doing that, I just need to find something to do it with. Lol.

I always leave his cage down open when I let him out, but while he's running around, he rarely pops into his cage. His first place of choice to run as soon as the door opens is right under my bed.

His cage has a pink plastic bath house, and then a wooden hut that has some hay in it, and a hanging hammock at one end of his cage. When he's in his cage he spends almost all his time in his pink house.

The treats I have are raisins, Dandelion Drops, and yogurt drops, but he doesn't seem t be interested in any of the drops. I don't give him to many. At most I've tried to give them to him three times in one day, not all at the same time or within the same hour.

And I haven't recently changed anything for him, expect from when I got him. I replaced his old wooden hut, with a new one, I changed his feeding dish because it was too big, I got him a new water bottle, an exercise wheel [but it's not sitting in his cage anymore], and a hay wheel to keep it off the floor. And of course I've cleaned his cage out too. I haven't changed the type of feed he has been use to either. I am thinking of getting him a newer cage - I feel like it's to small for him, and gives him little running around and climbing space.

Although, I think, my boyfriend did say that the lady said he did use to had a cage-mate, because I was talking to him about getting him a cage buddy once I got him a bigger cage.

When I first started putting him away, I use to sit on the floor and let him run around me, I'd reach out and pet him and stuff. So I'd let him run around me for a good few minutes, and TRY to pick him up and 'cuddle' him and then let him go again before catching him to put him into his cage... Maybe I should try to do that again? Let him come to me, pet him, hold him and let him go a few times before placing him in his cage?

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 01:59:02 PM »

three treats in a day is way too many. i would not feed yogurt drops at all.

i really would not try to pick him up and cuddle him for now. i'd let him run all over me and let him know he's safe to do that without being grabbed. if he thinks he'll be grabbed, he will not want to go anywhere near you.

block the access to your bed and see what happens. i think that would be the best start.

animalluver

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 04:31:04 PM »

Do you have a bathroom or someplace without many places he can hide under? I would spend sometime-- maybe on a weekend or something-- just doing what dianah said-- letting him run all over you. He may not come at first, but if you just lie on the floor doing your own thing he'll come to you eventually. Also, stay away from the sugar on those treats! It's bad for them. You can try getting some rose hips, shredded oats, dried banana chips, or rose buds and see if he responds to any of those. Also, is there always dust in his pink house? Too many baths will dry out his skin, although he should be getting them pretty regularly.

JRLeo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 11:19:23 PM »

Alright, I'll try to find something to block my bed off and not cuddle him...

I don't keep bath dust in his bath house at all times. I give him a bath maybe once or twice a week. Or when I try to trick him into getting into his bath house so I can put him back in his cage, but he stopped falling for that after the second time I did it, so he only gets his baths once or twice a week, but since he likes his pink house, it stays in his cage after I wash and dry it out after his bath. He likes sleeping in it, and it gives him something else to jump on top of, because it 'hangs' on the side.

I'll try some of the other treats, I wasn't sure what else to give him besides what I saw in the pet stores for Chinchillas, and the raisins because that's what the lady said she had been giving him here and there.

Thank you for the tips. :D

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 11:52:27 PM »

maybe try putting it in every day for 15 minutes. if he doesn't go, he doesn't go. but he'll know the option's there. when i got my rescue girl, she didn't go into her bath for a while but i still put it in every day and eventually she decided it was quite cool. she jumps straight in now.

you have to remember that there is no legislation that covers suitability of pet products for particular pets. unless it's outright toxic, they can sell it as a pet product. it's annoying because a lot of people think that they would not be allowed to sell it if it wasn't safe but unfortunately this is not the case. it's up to you as an owner to do your research and make sure you feed a healthy diet. animalluver suggested some great treats, i give rolled oats (they love them and they're great for getting their trust as well as you're handing out one small piece at a time) and alfalfa hay as treats. apart from that, i mostly use chews as 'treats' - little woven balls and such.
also, they don't *need* treats. but we all like to give them some :)

i've been thinking about the grabbing thing as well - you said that he only climbs onto you if you lie flat on your stomach not looking at him. i think this is because he's learnt that it takes you a lot longer to get up from that position to grab him than if you were sat down or lying down facing upwards - some chins (actually, most, from my experience) do not like to be cuddled. maybe you'll just have to settle for stroking, scratching and grooming.

JRLeo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 12:21:25 AM »

Well, I guess I shouldn't call it cuddling, cause I don't do it like I do with our cats or dogs.. ::shrug:: It's more so holding him close in one arm and petting him with my free hand or having him sitting on my desk with my arms somewhat around him to keep him from jumping but not enough to squeeze him (More like putting him in like a play-pin or fence with my arms cause he won't run away if he's sitting on my desk, at least from the two-three times I've had him sitting with me while I've been at my desk.) and petting him, but he still doesn't to like it too much.. Lol. I know I won't be able to cuddle him like my dog or cat, but I like to wish! Lol.  ;D

He's fine with jumping into his bath house if it's in his cage, but if he's out side his cage and I take his pink house and fill it with dust he won't jump into it since I've down the, "It's bath time!" and then once he's in, put him in his cage trick.

Where do you pick up your oats from and what kind? Pet store or like the grocery store? I might have to try them instead of raisins. I want him to have healthy stuff of course, I'd like to keep him around for as long as possible.  :::grins:: I know I shouldn't treat him to much, and I think sometimes just giving him a good scratching after he does something good is sometimes just good enough as a treat. I'm trying not to go, "OMG, so cuteee!!! Here eat this and this! Cause you're so cute and such a good little boy!" Like I've done with our cats or dogs. LOL.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 12:24:22 AM by JRLeo »

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 12:27:52 AM »

that's pretty much the cuddling i had in mind. they generally don't like to be held. they don't like to be lifted, i think because in the wild, if you're in the air you're gonna get eaten. some of mine like to be picked up but not held. some are really against being grabbed but settle down once you're holding them. some don't like either. it very much depends on the chin.

the rolled oats i buy are just organic ones from a shop (supermarket or health shop) - they're just the normal porridge type (but not instant, obviously) and you can give him up to two teaspoons per week but i'd start with less than than (and that's only if he's not getting anything else as well). some people give shredded wheat as well.

my rescue girl, mae, has major problems because of her previous diet and nearly died of bloat before christmas. this means she can't have any sweet/processed treats whatsoever - she gets a very small quantity of rolled oats every so often - but she's still a sweet, affectionate and friendly girl (doesn't like to be held though!)

JRLeo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 12:38:38 AM »

Alright, I'll try not picking him up to much then. I want him to be comfortable with me, but I still want him to be handle-able as well. Since I will have some free time this week I think I'm going to try and block off access to my bed, and just sit/lay down on the floor and let him come to me. I just wasn't sure how I should deal with all of this. So thank you for the tips!  :)  I just want what is best for my little guy, so that hopefully we can bond and he won't mind being around me.

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 01:19:51 PM »

good luck! i'm sure he'll come round :) just think of how you'd behave if someone was doing something you didn't want them to do.. you'd probably try to avoid them! one of my boys who liked to be picked up doesn't anymore - he was neutered and had to be on antibiotics and absolutely hated the medicine. he lets me stroke him again now but still runs if i look like i want to pick him up. he was actively asking to be picked up before :( hopefully this will change with time but i do understand why he doesn't want me to grab him!

animalluver

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2011, 02:46:45 PM »

Keep us posted on the progress! And I'm sure both Leo and dianah's boy will come around... my older girl, Sammi, will make a running leap into my arms... if I give her enough time to decide I'm safe! rofl I think she just wants to run, though. Ah, well. She's better than the baby. Cleo loves being scratched but she is terrified when I try to pick her Up!  :doh:
Pages: [1]   Go Up