Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: fussy pom does't want to eat his k/d renal health wet dog food  (Read 2936 times)

kneesaa

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile

OK, we have this 13 year old pom that has kidney failure, and he is very fussy about his food :noway:. He doesn't like it :doh:. I have been force feeding him with a syringe since December . Lately he has been interested when I get his food out but when I put it down for him to sniff and he backs off. So today I put little pieces of chicken in the food and he ate the chicken around the k/d food. So I'm hopping that someone here might have some better ideas ::think::. I would like for him to eat the k/d on his own because I know he is getting sick of me putting the syringe in his mouth. Also he doesn't really like the dry k/d dog food. We are trying to get him to gain weight, he went from 14 pounds down to 6 in a few months. I hope some one has had the same problem and found away around it. It is very annoying. But he is our little fighter. Mom say at lest we don't have to worry about him ripping our arms out of our sockets (you know Chewy from Star Wars) :2funny: ::).  Thank you
Quyana Shannon Seager

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
Re: fussy pom does't want to eat his k/d renal health wet dog food
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 12:06:22 AM »

i don't know if this is healthy for them but i just had a thought... could you soak the food in like chicken broth [the kind you buy from the store].. maybe that will flavor up the food alittle..

j
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)

kneesaa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 07:43:15 AM »

I have done that, we made our own chicken, beef and turkey broths. So I know it is low sodium. For now it seems that the little pieces of chicken mixed into his food are working. I'm very happy that he is eating the food on his own. Thanks
Quyana Shannon Seager

kneesaa

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 04:10:50 PM »

Update, Chewy died on the 17Th of march. His liver and kidneys were fine. It was his heart that gave out. He had back in Dec, kidney failure along with an enlarged liver and heart. He is the 3rd dog we have lost :'( and I hope that this will be the last one to die for a while. The 4 that are left look around for him but seem to know he is gone. If it wasn't for his heart he would still be here ::cry222:::. He was 13 years old. Thanks
Quyana Shannon Seager

Jhenderson27

• Appreciation points: 4
  • Giz and Luna
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 09:15:58 AM »

Sorry to hear, best wishes from us here!
Pages: [1]   Go Up