Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HELP!! COMPULSIVE ITCHING?  (Read 1897 times)

animalluver

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
HELP!! COMPULSIVE ITCHING?
« on: February 27, 2011, 08:51:55 PM »

I was sitting in my room today and noticed my chinchilla was itching rather a lot. Most of it was comprised of her twisting her head around and biting, but it was interspersed with leg-itching like a dog would do, so I thought she was just feeling a little itchy, since they can't get fleas. When I came back upstairs tonight, though, and took her out, I noticed on both sides of her middle body area the fur looked wet. It wasn't damp at all, but it was sticking in sort of spiky, darker clumps. It wasn't soft, and I think it was shorter, too. Is this fur chewing and how do I stop it?   ::scaredspeachless::

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
Re: HELP!! COMPULSIVE ITCHING?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 02:51:09 PM »

I 'd give extra baths with a little athletes foot powder in it to makes sure it's not a fungus or even something sticky she has gotten into.
And then give her new/extra chews, and keep switching them out every night.I have even gone as far as move shelves around now and then or even the spot they sleep.
I find adding new pine really helps keep them entertained, they have a real problem with new and straight edges. :D
I'm steady flipping shelves and turning over huts so I get every edge chewed before I replace. Some of my 6" deep shelves only have an inch left holding them up. :doh: :2funny:

Just look at this one  :doh:
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 02:55:07 PM by Debbie.nl.ca »
Debbie.nl.ca

animalluver

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 02:53:35 PM »

Oh, geez! Wow, was that straight once?  rofl The day after she looked a bit better, just sort of ruffled like she might be if she were dirty, so I gave her a dust bath and she looked better  :) She's pretty much normal now. I don't know what happened but maybe it was just like a one time thing. Thanks for all your help!  :::grins::

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 01:26:41 PM »

Yes that was 1x6 inches wide. I so need to replace them in a few cages  :P
But with 2 small grandkids things seem to have to wait until it's a must. Well now it's a must  ;)
Debbie.nl.ca

animalluver

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 01:39:14 PM »

:::grins:: Adorable! Well, I'm sure they don't mind. They probably love the kids too!  :::grins::
Pages: [1]   Go Up