Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Rescue Chin will not eat or drink  (Read 17822 times)

christa

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Rescue Chin will not eat or drink
« Reply #75 on: March 10, 2011, 12:29:01 PM »

;D ::silly::,  Aww,  that is funny--glad she finally figured it out, tho!!! ::).......well,  I am trying to determine if he has only trampled it and spread it around with his little feet---do not want to assume he is eating it if he is not--which is why i continue to syringe feed cc just in case...yeah, in the am and pm, now, is all, instead of round the clock,  as he must realize that his various hays, pellets, and timothy-haycubes are there for him to eat,  not just cage decorations :noway:

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 11, 2011, 10:46:03 AM »

you will be able to see if he's eating from whether he's pooing. some chins will not start eating proper food if they're getting critical care because they prefer it and know they'll get it. they're clever little monkeys!

mae had her teeth checked yesterday and they look very good  :::grins::

christa

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 11, 2011, 10:55:46 AM »

So happy to hear about Mae's good checkup!!! ::silly:: Yes, I am down to 2 syringes of CC a day;  I just wish he were not so addicted to it---yes,  clever monkeys indeed! :D ;D  He seems to be eating a bit of pellets and timothy cubes,  so just pray in time he will get hungry enough to go for that a bit more------------he is pooping very well,  so that is good at least! ;)

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 11, 2011, 11:30:34 AM »

ooh that's really good! mae will not have timothy cubes. nevermind! :)

i don't know what they see in the critical care to be honest. i tried it once and it's revolting! it doesn't even taste of hay!

i was so pleased about her teeth - she had a dental in november and the vet said she would probably need another dental in 2 months/10 weeks time. and it's march and they look great! yay! and she was on critical care for about two months after the dental so i'm chuffed!

christa

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 11, 2011, 11:32:34 AM »

Oh, that is good news,  isn't it?!~  ::silly:: ::silly:: ::silly:: :::grins::
OMG,  and I thought I was the only one to try the Critical Care, which indeed tastes ugh!!! :2funny: :2funny:

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 11, 2011, 12:07:17 PM »

admittedly, i only tasted it because i opened a new sachet and it smelled sweet - mae will only have fine grind and i didn't think they did that one in apple&banana flavour and it didn't say anything on the packet so i thought, i'll give it a taste and see if it tastes of apples bleaurgh!  :noway:

christa

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 11, 2011, 12:15:14 PM »

Ha, well I was just curious---and thought it tasted like bitter licorice !!!!!!!! >:(

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 11, 2011, 12:21:59 PM »

mine tasted salty i thought!

christa

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 11, 2011, 12:28:42 PM »

Yes, hard to know why they find the liquid version so tantalizing!  Most animals hate to be syringe fed! ::shrug::

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 11, 2011, 12:50:45 PM »

if you ever have to give him lactulose, that is hilarious! it's basically thick sugar water and mae would run to the cage door when she heard me open the bottle!

christa

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 11, 2011, 12:54:42 PM »

::nod:: Ha,  I guess they like liquids and especially sweet ones......must remind them of something they get from plants in the wild....

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 11, 2011, 12:56:13 PM »

they do like sweet things. like raisins and such. i guess it's like me and chocolate :D

christa

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 11, 2011, 01:33:13 PM »

::nod:: ;D ::silly::

christa

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 02, 2011, 02:26:28 PM »

Update on Rodney:  He is doing well,  and I love the little guy, BUT. . .  >:(  I must say, after weeks and weeks,  I am STILL having to syringe feed him.  He picks a little at hay or pellets,  but each time I tried to stop the syringes,  the droppings would become tiny, dry,  and hard again,  and I simply can NOT risk stasis and more hospital and med bills.  Because I had a sick cat who got major surgery, a dog who needed care,   plus a sick Opossum,  plus Rodney,  my vet bills have been near 20K,  not to mention other expenditures such as new AC unit and new furnace....I am MAXED out....do not know what i can do,  went thru 3 bags of Critical care and am now using ground pellets  :::(((

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 02, 2011, 03:52:19 PM »

christa, his poo will get smaller when you take critical care away. it will. it's a feeding change and it will affect his droppings. you could get some lactulose from the vet (it's dead cheap and it's sweet so they like to take it) and give it to him during the transition period - it lubricates the insides so you avoid hard dry droppings.

long term syringe feeding will cause teeth overgrowth and root overgrowth - this will cause huge problems (not just dental) and it will be extremely expensive. when teeth are not worn down properly, they get sharp spikes that dug into their cheeks, cause tongue lacerations and can even trap tongue - this will all prevent him from wanting to eat and it's painful. if the roots overgrow into the top arcades, once they're in the ocular spaces or sinuses, the only thing you can do is put them to sleep.

i know you're scared he'll get sick again but if you continue syringe feeding, he will, even though you think you're doing the right thing. and i understand the vet bills too, you've been amazing paying for his hospitalisation and all the treatment he's had, a lot of people would not have done that. but if he develops teeth problems (and he will if he's not on solid food), it will mean more vet bills and dental bills are not cheap.

i would go with lactulose. it works extremely well and you don't feel like you're giving them medicine because they're so keen on having it! and it costs me less than £5. you can only get it from the vet though.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up