Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: grooming your own dog  (Read 4549 times)

Hoppinchins

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
grooming your own dog
« on: February 01, 2011, 10:48:10 AM »

How hard and is it safe to groom your own dog vs taking her to a professional. The trimming around the eyes and such. 

Jhenderson27

• Appreciation points: 4
  • Giz and Luna
    • View Profile
Re: grooming your own dog
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 02:13:13 PM »

Pay a professional.  Thats what their job is, there are usually more than 1 person who know what they are doing when multiple people are needed.  We take our Husky and Persian Cat to Petco.  Its like 32 bucks for both of them.  They do a fantastic job, Im sure you can find a local person who will have better rates but we found someone who used to be at our groomers who went to petco and loves our animals.  There is a difference between grooming and cutting your pets hair.  Its just like I can dye my girlfriends hair, I know what to do, will she let me, hell no.  Kinda the same principal.

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 03:48:43 PM »

me peronsonally, if i had a dog that needed hair trimmed by his eyes, i would be afraid to do it.

i don't need to have fur trimmed so i wash, brush and cut nails myself.
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 06:17:28 PM »

Jhenderson27,

That is a good way of looking at it. Petsmart prices weren't bad, but i'd like to look around. There is prob someplace cheaper.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 07:50:35 AM »

It's not so easy I have done it myself, but will have the pros do it this spring.Clipping his coat that is. I have trimmed his nails but cut the quick so I bring him in now for it. $7.00 for just the nails.
I do keep around his eyes trimmed myself with a small battery operated personal  trimmer for men  ;) And I clip his bangs with scissors, just combing it forward and trim.
Debbie.nl.ca

megoony99

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 09:10:15 AM »

I am a dog groomer and I recommend taking the dog to a professional.  I have seen alot of dogs that have been groomed by the owner and most of them isn't a pretty sight.  The worst one I have seen was when a owner took scissors to the dog to get mats out but cut the skin also.  I'm not saying it isn't possible but it is not easy.  Giving a moving, wiggly, giggly isn't easy.  What you can try is holding the dog by the chin hair ( it doesn't hurt the dog ) and rubbing a spoon around the eyes.  It will give you an idea of how the dog is going to react.  I also recommend doing this on the counter or a table.  Hope this helps.  :)

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 11:39:48 AM »

I am a dog groomer

Do you have tips on keeping a dog smelling good between groomings? I love how my dog smells when I just get him home but a few trips outside and he has that wet dog smell again.  No matter what I use I just can't make him smell good after a home bath.  I'm sure the secrete is in the commercial products.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

megoony99

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 05:12:34 PM »

Actually its the dryers we use.  The dryer get them dry very qiuckly.  If you dog will tolerate you drying then with a hair dryer on warm then thats the way to go.  Towel dry as much as you can first.  then when your done drying spay on some dog calogne.  Never use people products on a dog.

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 09:58:32 PM »

OMG THEY CUT THE SKIN... OUCH.. you should yell at these people... lol..

debbie they have quick stop, not sure really how to spell it, but if you get the quick, it stops the bleeding.
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 09:31:57 AM »

I can't believe they cut the skin. That seems like it would be kinda hard to do that.

megoony99

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 09:53:53 AM »

The dog was matted.  When a dog is matted there is no way to get scissors between the skin and the hair.  That's why we shave a matted dog.  It is the safest way to get the hair off.  I have seen dogs that have been matted for so long that they are infested with fleas and have maggots under the fur.  That is why groomer say to brush the dog every day and make sure you can get a comb through the hair.  If you don't want to do that either bring the dog in every 2 weeks or keep the hair short. 

As for nails there is quick stop to stop the bleeding.  If you don't have it on hand flour or baking powder will work.  Though it does take longer.  If the dog will let you you can always file the nails.  Takes longer but it is harder to quick a dog that way.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 08:44:48 AM »

Yes I know about the quick stop and may pick some up, problem is he's afraid of me doing it now :doh:
And the groomer does it so fast and so good, the tails are not as scratchy as when I do it.
Meg how often do they usually need nails trimmed?
I just take him in when he starts scratching us with his nails and they click on the floor. I'm sure I can go a little longer but how long is too long?
And for brushing combing him, he's a Maltese and was clipped the summer because he was having heat seizures. It's still not full brown but the mats are unreal.
His under arms and around his neck is the worst. I comb him everyday using a tipped brush first, then my my chinchilla comb and a fine hooked rakey type for the finish.
And what about detanglers , is there such for dogs???
What types of conditioners are best?
LOL so glad you said you were a groomer. ::nod::
Debbie.nl.ca

megoony99

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 09:15:41 AM »

Meg how often do they usually need nails trimmed? Usually every 2 to 6 weeks.  Just depends on how fast they grow.  If you take the dog for walks on concrete it grinds down the nails for you.
I just take him in when he starts scratching us with his nails and they click on the floor. I'm sure I can go a little longer but how long is too long? To long is usually when you can hear them on the floor.  If the get too long and stay that way it can damage the bone structure of the foot. 
And for brushing combing him, he's a Maltese and was clipped the summer because he was having heat seizures. It's still not full brown but the mats are unreal. Maltese mat very easy and very quickly.  Their hair type is very cottony and fine.  Maltese hair can be very difficult to groom.  
His under arms and around his neck is the worst. I comb him everyday using a tipped brush first, then my my chinchilla comb and a fine hooked rakey type for the finish. I recommend using a dog slicker brush and a metal comb.  What you do is what is called line brushing.  You lift the hair up and brush down. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jb8PKrqtWI8
And what about detanglers , is there such for dogs??? It will work but it will leave the coat very greasey.
What types of conditioners are best?  I dont have a preference.  Usually depends on the skin.  If the dog has allergies use a hypoallergenic or a no fragrance conditioner.  If the dog is naturally greasey don't use a conditioner.   As long as it is made for dogs. 

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2011, 10:16:28 PM »

Thanks a bunch  ::silly::
Debbie.nl.ca

megoony99

• View Profile