Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Play time  (Read 1914 times)

Chins

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Play time
« on: January 27, 2011, 12:56:05 AM »

What is the standard amount of time (daily,weekly) do you guys allow your chins playtime outside of the cage??

and what's considered a healthy amount of time out of the cage.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
Re: Play time
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 07:31:42 AM »

Now that's a good question,
what's considered a healthy amount of time out of the cage.
You know most chins never get outside the cage. You take all those big to huge breeders, their chins never see outside the cage and they are among the biggest, best & healthiest.No wheels either. ;)
When I was under 10 chins they'd get out for a hour or so. When I reached 15+ it got cut to 20-30 min. each cage. Now with 25+ and 12 -15 cages, 2 grand kids and life changes they only get out twice a week for 20 min. I have not seen any change in their health. Nor in their behavior,or attitude toward me. Nothing changed what so ever. They are just as eager to see me coming, get their scratches ,kisses & treats.
So I now get a little peeved when I read adds in the local papers selling chins because they don't have the time any more. :doh: If you can't find 30 min. a
day to spend with them then yes re home, but chins with buddies and nice size cages are quite capable of utilizing that space for exercise.
I spend 1-2 hours a day with mine and more on cage cleaning day, though if I have plans I can feed the lot in about 20 min. ;)
It`s all up to you and the guilt you feel in keeping them caged ;)
They are quite capable of letting you know when they are not happy. ::nod::
Debbie.nl.ca

maxsmom

• 3 Chin Mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 03:40:54 PM »

My old routine when I had just Max would be allowing him to have 15 to 20 mins every other day. Some weeks that didn't happen but I try to give him at least that. Right now though I have two newer chins so I've been setting aside an hour each day to spend with them. All 3 get 15 mins with just me. Kin and Max also get to spend 15 mins bonding with each other. I'm working on developing a strong relationship with all 3 of them so I have a feeling I will be doing this for awhile but I hope that eventually I can cut it down to just a half hour every day.

Ashley

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 04:31:15 PM »

some people do an hour a day..  i've heard a few people say they do more.  me personaly, i used to do an hour a day, its gotten to hard for me, and i do feel quilty.  but i would be watching caged animals 4 hours a day now if i did that.  i try to let them out at least 1/2 hour a day.
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)

Chins

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 10:11:18 PM »

Thanks guys! I try to let my 2 out minimum of 2 hrs a day if not more. I feel really gulity when I miss a day, which isn't many, maybe like 1 or 2 a week.

But I read that chillas need at least 2 hours per day to be healthy and to have a strong bond to you. So it really stresses me out when I don't get the time to let out. They do have wheels and ledges to jump on so they don't just sit around.

Thanks for putting perspective in line for me.

I can't tell if our chillas are bonding with us. They mostly like ignore us and try to escape when we hold them.

;)

maxsmom

• 3 Chin Mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 12:14:21 AM »

One of my favorite things to do with Max is sit on the bathroom floor while he plays and read. He can not resist climbing into my lap and trying to nibble on my book and then when I catch him I pull the book up and look at him and he will dart off really fast. Then we do it all over again. I think he really enjoys it and it hasn't made him any harder to catch when it's time to go back to his cage. Even if I don't have a book though if I sit on the floor Max will sit in my lap, leap onto my shoulder, climb onto my head and ramp off me. He really seems to enjoy interacting with me and Kin is getting so that he enjoys it more too.

Ashley
Pages: [1]   Go Up