Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: feeding hay..oats?  (Read 2153 times)

wvdreamer69

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
feeding hay..oats?
« on: January 25, 2011, 10:13:40 PM »

::silly::
I'm looking forward to posting some pics soon...i want to share my little family with everyone. I'm always on the lookout for stuff i may not have known..
so here's a few more questions, I have been feeding my little ones the same food, and occasional treat..but after reading online i decided to give them a few rolled
oats instead of the store bought treats..they were a hit..but only a tiny bit at a time..don't want them to get sick..does anyone else let them eat oats? and have you had any trouble with that?, also another thing i am wondering is about hay, i have given the store bought a few times, we used it for our
guinea pig also..now they have gotten a taste of the "real stuff" its actually very clean hay that we keep in small amounts for our rabbits, no chemicals or pesticides, completly dry, free of any bugs or "yucky" stuff.
has anyone done this or does everyone just go with the store bought ?  what other stuff do you feed your chins for treats ? any comments are very welcome :)

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
Re: feeding hay..oats?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 07:06:11 AM »

Oatmeal is a great treat, a regular for my my chins. I switch it up every month with spoon size shredded wheat, or a scattered time cherrios.
Most dried fruit in small amounts is OK too.
I buy my hat by the bail, much better that the shop stuff. ::nod::
Debbie.nl.ca

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 12:02:24 PM »

i just want to add with the oats, just make sure you dont' get the instant ones, get the old fashioned.

as for the hay, yes that is one product you can buy at stores, oxbow is great, also besides timothy, you can use meadow, oat, oat, wheat and barley, broome grass, orchard grass, botanical.  all the hays are different so therefor they help with keeping the back teeth grinded down.  as for other brands of hay, apd and alfalfa king, but those two you won't find in stores, well at least around me..and then some people use... oh darn, i forget the name but there are a few others at pet storees that are fine touse.
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)

christa

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 06:23:41 PM »

You can get Oxbow Hays online at Drs. Foster and Smith:  I use oat, timothy, botanical, meadow.  Also OxBow barley treats, dried papaya and dried pineapple.  Alfalfa bales are good, too.  Quaker rolled oats (natural, plain)  are good, about a teaspoon.   :)

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 08:58:41 PM »

Old fashioned oats are a safe treat..no more than 1/2 teaspoon per chinchilla per day as it is binding and too much can cause constipation. I purchase the Oats from the Ryersons.  Hay is a good choice and can be fed as much as wanted. I just grab hay from the bales we keep for the horses.
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 12:51:50 AM »

You can get Oxbow Hays online at Drs. Foster and Smith:  I use oat, timothy, botanical, meadow.  Also OxBow barley treats, dried papaya and dried pineapple.  Alfalfa bales are good, too.  Quaker rolled oats (natural, plain)  are good, about a teaspoon.   :)

i have alot of hay on my site too... :)

just go easy on the alfalfa, because of the calcium..
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
Pages: [1]   Go Up