Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Life Changes  (Read 1758 times)

Chins

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Life Changes
« on: December 07, 2010, 12:23:39 AM »

I quit my job on Friday. The work environment was bad and my employer/supervisor caused my a lot of undue stress. I finally decided I had enough.
I worked at a veterinary clinic, which is a complete new career for me and I have no previous experience. I've always wanted to be a DVM ever since I was little. However, my parents persuaded me to go into business, which I hated.
So I had an awful panic attacked on Friday and my husband and I had a long discussion. We decided that my health was more important and I should take a short break from full time work.
I will be going to school full time and getting my health back.

I'm extremely excited about my new path and yet I feel really lame. I'm 26 and I feel like I should have my life in order by now. Yes, I am working toward getting my life together but it somehow seems like I'm doing it so late in my life.

I feel like this is a big life change for me. Any one with similar experience???

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
Re: Life Changes
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 10:15:17 AM »

don't feel lame! there's plenty of people a lot older than you are who haven't got their life figured out!

i got a job as a book buyer when i was 20 and loved it. a couple of years later, i was diagnosed with bipolar affective disorder and went back home to get better. i was teaching at the same time and it was good. i went back to the bookshop, got ill, things went really bad and it took me two years to recover from that. my cognitive functions were so impaired that i could not follow a tv programme or read an article or do anything but at the same time i was really bored and got frustrated every time i tried to do anything and couldn't!

anyway, after two years, it got better and i got a banking job (not for a bank but it was working with a lot of money) - it was very stressful and i hated it. it was so busy and it was so awkward to take time off that i quit before i had a new job. but, just three weeks later, i started a new job with a company i'm with now. i work in a lab and absolutely love what i do. it's completely different to anything i've done before but now i know that this is what i want to do and hopefully i will never have to change jobs again! i'm 28 and this happened just over 2 years ago.

your husband is right, there's no point in you ruining your health. and hopefully now you will have the opportunity to end up doing what you really want to do! good luck!

1newChinmom1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 01:01:58 PM »

Oh Dear! I'm 50, guess I should really have it worked out by now! :doh:
Look, everybody developes at different speeds, and finds their way for themselves. I am a retired nurse, having spent way too much time in the Army Nurse Corps, I am thrilled to be reinventing myself, yet again, as an owner (and sales rep) for a photo studio. I have held licenses for about a jillion different jobs, and certifications in twice that many. It's been fun! ::)
Some people keep one vocation their entire life, some change once or twice, some (like yours truely) want to sample the whole buffet.  :2funny:
There is no right or wrong life path. You just have to find yours.  :D  It will be ok, I promise. Just take a deep breathe and remind yourself, it's your life. You get to do things YOUR way.

The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know ::think::

Chins

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 12:16:10 AM »

thanks guys!

Since I've posted this entry, things seems to finally be on their way. There have been a lot of ups and downs. I've enjoyed my time off, that's for sure.
I hasn't able to register for any classes because they were all full by the time my registration date came around, so I have to go to class on the first day to try and get added. I also didn't get unemployment, which was really a bummer.
It has been tough, some days I get really upset and just cry and wish the world would end. Other days I'm ok and things seem bright.

I went for my first job interview today at another animal clinic, hopefully i'll get the job.

Thanks everyone for being supportive.  :)

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 11:22:56 AM »

fingers crossed for the job and classes!

i know it's hard but when you finally do something you enjoy, you'll look back and know it was worth it! xxx
Pages: [1]   Go Up