Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BLOOD IN CAGE...  (Read 7235 times)

cadillactaste

• Appreciation points: 5
  • Fluffy (Standard) and Nibbles (Violet)
    • View Profile
BLOOD IN CAGE...
« on: November 14, 2010, 12:50:16 PM »

Woke to find blood in the cage...It's dried blood...I examined both chins and it seems Nibbles has blood on his feet. All dried blood. So I'm not even sure where it came from. Now...how do I go about cleaning it up and finding out where it came from...He's still running on his exerciser. At least he was this morning...and when we came home from church it looks like MORE blood on his flying saucer. Yet I took him out and can't find any wet spot where it came from...I'm thinking a foot some place...but need to clean him up. Thinking the running on his wheel caused it to reopen maybe? So take out the wheel for the time being...is what I'm thinking needs done.

I plan on checking past history to see if I can find my answer...but in case I can't...I'm posting this to see what might be told to me.

Any advice is much appreciated...
~Darlene

cadillactaste

• View Profile
Re: BLOOD IN CAGE...
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 01:01:36 PM »

So I need polysporine. Off to find out what to use to clean the area...
~Darlene

cadillactaste

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 01:11:25 PM »

One of my chinchillas Trouble had that and I brought her into the vets. He said re-arrange the cage and put some towels down to help her foot heal, Troubles feet were really cracked. I put Polysporin on it and in a couple of days it was healed, but bag balm is even better, it sticks better. I have some, guess I should have used that.

From an old post...I have bag balm...so use that verses Polysporine? Or is Polysporine better medicated wise?
~Darlene

cadillactaste

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 02:37:10 PM »

The flying saucer is not out of the cage...and we cleaned everything down...And then I had my husband hold Nibbles so I could apply the bag balm. He closed his eyes and enjoyed the bag balm being rubbed into his feet. What a sweet fella he is...I'm glad he enjoyed it...poor baby. After rubbing them on...his feet didn't look really that bad at all. But of course they are since he bled and had it in his cage.

A call to the vet in the morning...To see about getting some of this that's mentioned on caring for Bumblefoot. Not sure if he has it...but do not care to let it go and turn into anything. Preventative measures sounds the best route to take.
~Darlene

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 02:39:37 PM »

to make sure he doesn't get an infection you can use blue-kote, i think its actually made for some type of farm animal, don't remember which one, but its totally safe for chins.. just be very careful if you ever use it. it will turn everything purple and will stain.. it will eventually come off the chin, but your clothes will be ruined.

as for a cut, do you have a wire bottom cage floor, could he have cut his foot that way?  if so, its good to put something flat, [chin safe] on the floor of the cage so they can rest their feet.

or maybe is there something that might have alittle sharpness to it in there, like maybe he chewed a shelf to a tiny point or something... just trying to think of some reasons why he might of cut it..

definately, talk to a vet, you are right, better to be safe.

jean
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 03:02:47 PM »

Like Jean said blukote (which is made for horses) or the other brand of the same thing Blu lotion will work. If the feet don't heal somewhat quickly you may have a case of bumble foot which will need oral meds. Sometimes their feet just get dry and crack or if they are housed with another chinchilla sometimes toes get bitten
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

cadillactaste

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 04:02:19 PM »

to make sure he doesn't get an infection you can use blue-kote, i think its actually made for some type of farm animal, don't remember which one, but its totally safe for chins.. just be very careful if you ever use it. it will turn everything purple and will stain.. it will eventually come off the chin, but your clothes will be ruined.

as for a cut, do you have a wire bottom cage floor, could he have cut his foot that way?  if so, its good to put something flat, [chin safe] on the floor of the cage so they can rest their feet.

or maybe is there something that might have alittle sharpness to it in there, like maybe he chewed a shelf to a tiny point or something... just trying to think of some reasons why he might of cut it..

definately, talk to a vet, you are right, better to be safe.

jean

I can't find anything sharp in his cage...maybe it's the bumblefoot. I'm going to call and get some antibacterial cleaner for his feet. And see if they feel he needs antibacterial ointment as well. We have Bass Equipment trays in a ferret nation cage. I was concerned about where they chewed on their ledges...catching his foot. But it's really not real rough. The only thing I can find rough is the very corner of his food container than hangs on his cage. The lid part that raises to add more food. But...we've had that since we've had the chins...and it's really not "sharp" just comes to an angle on the corners. Nothing in his crate is sharp that we can see or feel.

Like Jean said blukote (which is made for horses) or the other brand of the same thing Blu lotion will work. If the feet don't heal somewhat quickly you may have a case of bumble foot which will need oral meds. Sometimes their feet just get dry and crack or if they are housed with another chinchilla sometimes toes get bitten

He is housed with another chin...but I see no "puncture bites" just dry cracked foot pads. More so on just the one back foot. He LOVED the bag Balm. But I would still prefer to get some of the Antibacterial cleanser for his feet. To clean them while they get back to normal...

Not sure when we can add their flying saucer. And they are NOT happy it's removed from the cage. 

~Darlene

jmdebb

• View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2010, 10:47:03 PM »

okay i need to learn something new..

what exactly is bumblefoot, and how do they get it?

j
Your One Stop Chin Shop

cadillactaste

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 05:49:49 AM »

okay i need to learn something new..

what exactly is bumblefoot, and how do they get it?

j

My take is...it's an infection when their foot pad breaks down. That gets up under the foot pad. Not sure how they get it honestly...Wire cage floors [which I do not have] Sometimes just their feet get dry and cracked...and it can stem from that I think if they get worse.

No blood in the cage that I can see this morning. I take that as a good sign. Rubbed the Bag Balm on his feet last night...and he wasn't as thrilled about it the second time around. Though Cole had just put his chinchilla conditioner treat into the crate. So it wasn't the ideal time to do the foot treatment. For there was FOOD TREAT in his cage he wanted... ::) Definately dark spots on his heals of back feet. At least last night there were.
~Darlene

cadillactaste

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 03:15:47 PM »

Picked up some Blue Kote...thanks for the advice. A woman at the Drive Threw Feed who was shopping...Stated to spray it onto something like a disposable cup...or plate. And use a Q-tip to apply so it's easier to contain and the chin doesn't get covered in purple. [She said that is what she would do if she needed to put it on her rabbits.]

The can says...Stains Wet or Dry...So once it's dried on Nibbles foot. It can still stain clothing? Or...does it mean that it's stained while wet as well as dry and not to attempt to use stain remover? Never heard something staining while dry...
~Darlene

jmdebb

• View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2010, 05:33:40 PM »

Picked up some Blue Kote...thanks for the advice. A woman at the Drive Threw Feed who was shopping...Stated to spray it onto something like a disposable cup...or plate. And use a Q-tip to apply so it's easier to contain and the chin doesn't get covered in purple. [She said that is what she would do if she needed to put it on her rabbits.]

The can says...Stains Wet or Dry...So once it's dried on Nibbles foot. It can still stain clothing? Or...does it mean that it's stained while wet as well as dry and not to attempt to use stain remover? Never heard something staining while dry...

oh okay, i never knew that [bumble foot]

good idea with the q-tip..

i dont' know if it stains if it gets on while dry... i haven't used it in a long time, but i do remember even tho i was warned, it still got all over me... ugh!! but i don't remember any coming off the chin after i used it... i think purple chins are cute tho..h aha
Your One Stop Chin Shop

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2010, 11:10:10 AM »

My chins often over groom the calluses in their feet. Finding a small amount of dried blood on the shelves is not uncommon. One made her feet bleed so bad one time I thought she has misscarried. ::)
Debbie.nl.ca

cadillactaste

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2010, 12:48:37 PM »

My chins often over groom the calluses in their feet. Finding a small amount of dried blood on the shelves is not uncommon. One made her feet bleed so bad one time I thought she has misscarried. ::)

WOW! To the point you thought she had miscarried. He didn't have that much blood in the crate. I would have to say his wasn't that bad.

You know...I have seen Nibbles grooming his feet. Since I've put the bag balm on it...they no longer looked cracked...Can they clear up that fast? The one part of his foot you can see where the blood "may" have came from...but it's not bad looking.

Curious...does one still apply Bag Balm alternately when applying Blue Kote? Like morning bag balm...evening Blue Kote?
~Darlene

cadillactaste

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2010, 02:12:05 PM »

Now that his feet are stained purple...how does one know if it's getting worse or better? I am assuming no more blood is a good thing? I put bag balm on his feet a litter earlier today. He makes a noise when you go to mess with him. [when you enter his cage] Not a loud barking...but a noise like soft grunting. To scare me off maybe...Once I have a hold of him. He's fine I just don't know what to expect now...They seem less cracked.

He's eating...and drinking...Called my exotic vet to just see what they would said. And learned he's on vacation...so I would be looking at a two hour trip to see a vet one way for the referal exotic vet. The person who answered the phone said they have another vet there that doesn't do exotics...that could look at him. But...my own animal vet is 15 minutes verses an hour as they are. And...has the same qualifications.

Though the receptionist felt that if it's not bleeding then it must be a good sign.

~Darlene

cadillactaste

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2010, 08:49:08 PM »

Tonight Nibbles was really making a barking noise at me when I opened his cage...and sort of came at me lunging almost then backing away. I know when I put his bag balm on this afternoon. I thought his feet looked better than Sunday. By not being cracked and not seeing blood in the cage since the initial first time.

I'm thinking he's upset his flying saucer is missing as well as not liking the Blue Kote as well as he likes the bag balm. He LOVED his flying saucer. So instead of bringing him out of his cage tonight. I worked with socialization. By not forcing him to be held...but by just placing my hand palm up next to him but not touching...And then did the same with the other chin...then petted Fluffy. And then again back to Nibbles but not forcing myself on him.

And by the time I closed the door...Nibbles had came up and nuzzled my face and placed his paw on my cheek.  ;)  He's has not lost his appetite which is a relief. I think he's just mad...that his exercise saucer is missing.
~Darlene
Pages: [1]   Go Up