Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Female chin sluggish, stays at bottom of the cage  (Read 1898 times)

WindWhisperBomb

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Female chin sluggish, stays at bottom of the cage
« on: September 06, 2010, 10:32:53 PM »

My roommate came home and found that our female chin was trapped under her plastic ladder (She was on her side, ladder is very light). Roomie took her out and the chin didn't move much at first. She started to walk around very sluggishly and then slept in her dust bath. We put her back in the cage after she woke up and ate. She's eaten, drunken water, and slept while she's been in the cage. Usually she'll sit on a perch with her mate, but she's been glued to the bottom of the cage (It has three tiers) for a few hours now.

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
Re: Female chin sluggish, stays at bottom of the cage
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 05:37:16 AM »

is there any chance she could be pregnant?

some (not mine) lie on their sides when pregnant and they definitely lounge around the bottom of the cage when they're near giving birth, as well as not being as lively as usual - perhaps because they feel huge!

WindWhisperBomb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 03:48:45 PM »

It crossed my mind, but she gave birth at the end of May (28th at the earliest), and didn't act this way leading up to that birth.

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 11:59:37 PM »

if she got pregnant when she gave birth, her due date would be 16th of september so i guess the timing would be spot on. was there a boy in with her when she gave birth?

my fluffy was supposed to be a boy and by the time we found out she was a girl - when we found the triplets! - she was already pregnant again, with only one girl this time.

WindWhisperBomb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 11:52:35 AM »

Yes, her and her mate weren't separated right away.

We made an appointment to see the vet, but she seems much more energetic now. She's hopping around on all tiers.

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 01:59:42 PM »

that's great news!

my fluffy only had no more than half a day between giving birth and us finding the babies & taking the dad out and she managed to get pregnant. because it was a breedback pregnancy, we weren't sure if she was pregnant and only when i started to feel movement two weeks before she gave birth, i was certain. i thought there was a whole football team in there because she had triplets the first time & the baby was moving around SO much but it was just one massive girl!

i did think that her behaviour was different during this pregnancy but of course when she was pregnant with the triplets, we thought she was a boy so didn't really look out for pregnancy symptoms! and because this time we knew there was a chance she was pregnant, i was watching her a lot more and looking out for signs (she wasn't making it easy! she doesn't lie on her side or act tired)

1newChinmom1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 02:20:05 PM »

If the ladder that was on her, was also the ladder she was on, before it fell...well she might have jsut been afraid to try it again. I am happy to hear she is perking up ::nod::

The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know ???
Pages: [1]   Go Up