Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Broken back leg, what are his chances to healing? a split or to cut it off?  (Read 6117 times)

Hoppinchins

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile

I have medacam to, but he didn't give me any extra. I have one left for tom. But i'm sure he will still be in pain. How long did your vet say he would need it? I was really suprized that he didn't give me some. He said he shouldn't need it.

Donna

• Appreciation points: 2
  • donnaburk@att.net
    • View Profile

I am so glad that you are trying to save this chin's leg if possible. I know one person that has chins, and if the chin breaks a back leg, she just cuts it off herself. No trips to the vet. She has more than enough money to go to a vet, but just doesn't want to spend it on the chin I guess.

Hoppinchins

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile

Oh wow, that is wrong in soo many ways. And thanks. The vet sounded helpfull, so thats good. I just don't like the whole waiting part.

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas

Donna,
   what you said has shocked me as I know all the same people you do and see them at shows and I do not know of anyone who would just cut off a leg with no vets visit unless it were an extreme emergency. Maybe you mis-understood a situation as I have a feeling I know who you are speaking of and she is a wonderful person who goes above and beyond for the care of a chinchilla. I myself had to do it once as it was an extreme emergency and Thumper would have died had it not been done there was no time to get to the E vet which is 3 hours away and there was a snowstorm and he was bleeeding out and I was told by a knowledgable person it needed to come of now and quickly that he had minutes not hours. He is fine and alive now.

I do not recomend it going through a vet is much more prefered but when you have an emergency you need to know what to do. I have saved several chinchillas doing things that might not be recomended and may not seem normal but work. I had a chinchilla prolapse 3 inches of his intstines came out we used honey to get them back in so we would have time to get to the vet.  He is alive and well today. the vet and all the ranchers I spoke to gave him under 10% chance to live. but when you are breeding and have a lot of animals you need to know what to do in a situation

I have also seen people and know of someone that neglected a chinchilla to a horrible point brought it to a fabulous breeder sick (I saw the chinchilla about an hour after it got there), the breeder saved the chinchilla made it well again, coincedently he I believe lost a leg but was made better at the expense of said breeder...she pitched a fit got the chinchilla back and then went around bashing this breeder. but then again this same person seems to go around bashing anyone who helps her out or has anything to do with her, no one listens as she is quite the joke amoungst the ranchers and breeders now as everyone knows what she is like.

So there are always many sides to a story...........
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

Donna

• Appreciation points: 2
  • donnaburk@att.net
    • View Profile

WOW Kristy, it certainly sounds like you are the one doing the bashing or should I say you and your friends that are making fun of this person. I don't know any one that has a neglected chinchilla as all the chin people that I know go to the shows and their chins are beautiful and very well cared for, as every one at the shows can see.

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas

I have seen what she does to others and by "joke" I mean no one is fooled by her anymore. the chinchilla community is very small and word gets out. Just making a point that there are two sides to every story and you shouldn't judge a person by 1 incident sometimes we need to do drastic things in emergency situations. I personally have had no issues with this person but I also avoid her and will have nothing to do with her, everyone knows what she is like becuase of her own doing.  So I guess joke is a bad word for it.
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up