Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: pogo has a broken foot. Frecken out. Help.  (Read 6564 times)

Hoppinchins

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
pogo has a broken foot. Frecken out. Help.
« on: August 21, 2010, 01:19:01 PM »

i let my chins play in the clossest. I have a fence up so they don.t chew on wood or get not when i do. I got in there and i diem.t know he was on the other side of the fence. When i opened it he must have been trying to get back over and got stuck. Had to pull him out. On the way to a vet that is close. Open and treats chins. Soo worried. ::cry222:::

flynhawaiian

• View Profile
Re: pogo has a broken foot. Frecken out. Help.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 03:08:47 PM »

I'm not a vet nor a doctor. 

*note, I take no responsibility and disclaim all implied and express warranties.  This is purely for informative purposes*

My best suggestion is to create a splint if he is really hurt.  Is it his foot or back leg?  If it is a foot, I would cut a popsicle stick, being that it is flat.  Make sure that you sand off any any splinters so he cannot harm himself.  I would place it on the bottom of his foot and one on the top attach it with medical tape.  I believe this would be the safest bet for now.  You need to protect the foot from further damage.  I would also consider putting in lots of flease in his house and try and keep him in there.  If he's not eating maybe some organic pumpkin would help.  Again, this is meant to be a temp situation until you can get to the vet.  He might need some pain medication or a cast. 

If it is his place two sticks one on each side and do the same with the tape.  Good luck and baby him really well.

flynhawaiian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 03:10:36 PM »

Also, I know this is a bad way of learning, but I never allow them out of my site when they run around.  I like them playing in the bathtub as well because there is nothing they can get hurt on.  Make sure it is dry and no chemicals are around.  Just an idea, I hope that he gets better rather quickly.  I feel for you.  I'm not sure what I would do if mine got hurt or worse  ::cry222:::

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 03:50:49 PM »

I'm affried to mess with it. Its his leg, not his foot i guess. didn't really think about that. He is on pain meds and it will be set on monday, as long as I can get in to see a different vet. I think they should have taken care of it today though. And if that doesn't work, he will have to have surgery. :(

I know about not letting them out of your eye sight when they are out. I had been in and out of the closset all day and everything was fine. I don't even want to let them out anywhere that has doors now. I may buy a play pen or try the fence thing again. I want to get a big dog cage and put it in the basement for them to run around in. big enought that I could lay/sit in it.

And its killing me keeping my little guy in the carrer cage. He is the one that always wants to get out and go where he isn't supposed to. I'm affried he isn't going to eat. I put pellets, and water on a saucer. I didn't think he'd be able to eat it out of a small bowl thing. I have hay, and bedding and chews. I know prob to much in the tiny cage. He hasn't ate anything or drank anything in a few hrs. I had hay in the cage while i took him to the vet.

Organic punkin, like for people? Thats safe for chins?

I feel soo bad. I couldn't stop crying. Thats why my mom went with me. I have him by the other cage so he can see snowie, but i'd rather have him right by me so i could keep a closer eye on him.

And the place I took them to last year was closed and the on call docter doesn't see chins. I don't know why he couldn't have called the one that did. But it was an hr away. Luckly i found one alot closer. And the other vet I have to take him to on monday is close to, so thats good. But it makes me mad. If this was a human they wouldn't get u pain pills and tell you to wait till monday.

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 06:09:04 PM »

i'm so sorry,,

no emergency vets near you??  i hate that its so hard to get a vet during certain hours.
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 11:26:22 PM »

I know, they need to change that policy. and apperently not. :( or one that is open on weekens. My little guy is finaly eating a bit so i know thats a good sign.

flynhawaiian

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 01:26:36 AM »

I'm surprised..  Have you called the vet?  Usually they have an emergency number.  There has to be an animal hospital near by.

If your not sold on the pumpkin, we keep oxbow critical care on hand.  Petsmart has it.  Good luck and I hope he's okay!

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 08:05:19 AM »

Is it obviously broken? like hanging there? if so it needs a splint or the bone could poke through causing infection. Really with any break it needs to be set imediatly just like in people
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 08:08:31 AM »

I would also like to add I see you are in ohio and I know there are several ER vets throughout the state sometimes when you become a pet owner you need to drive a few hours to get proper care. I have seen a broken leg go gangreen and have to be cut off. It really can go badly quick
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2010, 10:09:01 AM »

Yeah, its obviously broken. The vet didn't seem that worried about that. But i couldn't believe that they did set it. I think i'm going to try to call the docter they told me to call on mondy and see if they will do it today. On there voice message it leaves a number to reach the other guy. I'm worried about him, but he is eating a bit, so thats good. Thanks fly, i think i will check that out.

1newChinmom1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2010, 03:11:22 PM »

Our prayers are with your little one. Rest, peace, and lack of pain...recovery, safety and love. Amen. ::nod::

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2010, 03:51:53 PM »

I would ring them and see what can be done right now. Needs an x-ray to see what's up. If it's a clean break they may be able to splint it and put a cast on. Cheech needed a collar and she hated it! She stopped eating a drinking because of the collar. If it's shattered or can't be set they'll amputate.

Don't beat yourself up about it. I've just been through the same thing, kind of. Cheech had her cast on for three weeks and the tissue and muscle healed bot the bone hadn't. She now has the cast off to see if teh bone will heal with a little stimulation. She started eating and drinking as soon as the collar came off. I wouldn't mess with it yourself. Try and reach the person whose number they gave you and good luck! Push for them to x-ray and treat ASAP, but I think they'll give general aneasthetic to x-ray so make sure it's a qualified small furry exotic vet who knows what GA to give and you'll be fine.

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2010, 03:55:51 PM »

Thanks jenova. I got an x-ray yesterday and it is a clean break.

I'll fetter better after tom, prob.

Thanks 1newchinmom, thats sweet. It means alot. 

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2010, 04:12:10 PM »

I didn't make it up to petsmart today, i forget they close early and i had a family reunion to go to. I checked online for that oxbow critical care and I didn't see it. Is it not food?

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2010, 04:14:42 PM »

Online i just see Oxbows Papaya Fruit Plus and Oxbow Daily C Vitamin Supplement. I'm still going to go tom and see if they carry it. If not, should i get those two vitamins for him? He hasn't ate hay, only pellets. I don't know if the hay is to hard for him to eat right now. When he eats the pellets, he isn't picking them up, he just eats them off the little plate.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up