Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New kits, new cage?  (Read 1549 times)

AnnieHank

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
New kits, new cage?
« on: August 19, 2010, 05:57:42 PM »

I have two chinchillas and one is due to give birth in about four days. I bought a new cage so that I'm able to separate the male when the kit/ kits are born, also, the new cage has smaller spaces between the wires, no chance of the little ones escaping. Due to a mix up with delivery, the cage only arrived today. Is it too close to the due date to move the mom to the new cage? She's gotten quite contrary the past few weeks and now she is even barking and grumping when we try to let her out for playtime or to clean the cage.
This is her first pregnancy so I'd appreciate any advice anyone has to offer about the role I should take in taking care of new born kits or whatever. I've spent a good deal of time reading various books and websites about chinchilla breeding but just to make sure there's nothing I'm forgetting. Also, there are some contradictions in some of the info I've read.
Many thanks

Courtney

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
Re: New kits, new cage?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 03:32:02 AM »

You can move her now, that would be fine. I hope everything goes okay for you. It's amazing to watch them give birth.
Six Chinchillas<br />Two Jack Russell Terriers<br />Two Parrots<br />Four Fish Tanks

AnnieHank

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 02:59:57 PM »

Thanks Courtney. I have them in their new cage now and after she gives birth, I'll transfer the dad back to the old cage on his own for a week.
I'm not sure what flooring I should have as I've heard somewhere that a wire bottom can be damaging for chinchilla feet, especially for new kits. The old cage has a wire floor too but there is also tiles and plenty of wood ledges. I usually pack in chinchilla safe softwood bedding and change it every few days so there's very little wire surface exposed and they've never seemed to have a problem with their feet. This new cage is all mesh wire. I could put down some tiles in the bottom and put the softwood bedding over it, would that be better?

AnnieHank

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 07:13:12 AM »

Annie just had two kits, both alive and well. So cute! I'll see if I can get a picture up now. I'm still not sure what flooring though?!

AnnieHank

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 07:15:55 AM »

Picture of Annie and the first kit. She hasn't let us get a good look at the second one yet.

AnnieHank

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 07:24:22 AM »

Hank sleeps it off while Annie does all the work!
Pages: [1]   Go Up