Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Who Should get credit? Jamie asked a while back.  (Read 5203 times)

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
Who Should get credit? Jamie asked a while back.
« on: May 30, 2006, 12:38:39 PM »

We had a little chat a while back about when showing chins if the original breeder should get credit, or even a mention.
I remember saying how I felt they should.
Then I spoke to a dog shower friend of mine, well did I get an ear full. :blush2:
He search for years for the right dogs, to show. Had his name on a list, went to England to bring them here, and paid big big bucks for the best he could buy so he could win at shows.
If the breeder wanted to show said dog he/she shouldn't have sold them, and put all required effort into the animal to show it themselves.
Then he was the one to train and show his dogs while others paid another person to show their dog.Some folks seem to be better than other at this.
I know that aspect is a little different than chins.
So now I'm thinking the other way, if you sell a kit you give up all rights. If the new owner putts in all the effort to win at shows, why should the breeder then get credit.
I can see a mention, as some lines are very well know, and can only add points.
It is also possible for a newbie with some awesome animlas, that to win as well.
YES?

Debbie.nl.ca

chinchillagrl06

• The Petting Zoo
  • Appreciation points: 3
  • Monkeybuny
    • View Profile
Re: Who Should get credit? Jamie asked a while back.
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 01:09:06 PM »

I see your point, but I still feel that credit should go to the breeder. Yes the person showing is responsible for getting the chin in "show condition" (i.e. dusting, grooming), but it is the breeders lines that give density, size, color, blah, blah, blah... You know? IMO. :)
Sarah (^..^)
& the Zoo Crew
Chinnies, Suggies, Kitties, and a Bunny.

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 06:58:36 PM »

I have to agree.  Right now I am working on my Violet lines.  I have been breeding Violet to standard to produce awesome carriers who are then bred to carriers to produce awesome violets.    Its a 2 to 3 generation process to get beautiful, blocky violet chinchillas.  It would really be a shame for someone to take a violet I spent years to produce and then take all of the credit just because they bought it.   ::shrug::

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006, 12:25:31 PM »

I too would think both should get credit, but yes the breeders are the key arn't they!
Do chin shows get as cut troat as the dog shows can get?
I know it's not quite the same, the dog has to prove himself for more than just his coat and health.
Even the handlers get credit, and they may not be the owners at all.
It sure is a tough business to be in ::nod::
And a lot of hard, long time work to get the best results.
Thanks you both, my friend and I will have to agree to dissagree on this one.
I bet he won't though :D
Debbie.nl.ca

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2006, 08:23:49 AM »

::silly:: Hi all ...

Wow, this could get to be a touchy subject, because there are strong, but different points of view here.  :-[ 

It is nice to be able to have the money to purchase a good, top quality animal and to be able to pick out one ... but how did he/she become top quality to start with?  Without the breeder that produced the high quality chin to start with, there would be no quality.  No amount of grooming is going to get a low quality chin to become a high quality chinchilla.  That takes breeding and knowledge how to do it.

You can make a high quality chin look bad from lack of care, but you can not make a low quality chin look good enough to win at a show.

If you have purchased a high quality winner, you need to mate it with one that will compliment this chin and hopefully they will continue to produce high quality chinchillas.  You can show the new chins as your chinchillas, because you put the parents together.

If you have the knowledge and ability to pair them properly, you have  proven yourself as a breeder.  It is the breeder's knowledge and ability to produce high quality chins that gets him/her tophies and a good name.  Anybody can dish out the cash to buy quality, but continuing to keep the quality in the line is the trick.

I've been working on a violet rap for 3 years ... if someone were to show it as their hard work paying off ... why even try to produce the best if you are not going to get credit for it?  That's like handing someone a glass of milk from the store and claim you milked the cow.

::wave::
     Jo Ann
[/i]
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2006, 12:08:02 PM »

That's like handing someone a glass of milk from the store and claim you milked the cow.
I love it Jo Anne
I guess I'm comparing it to the dog shows because they have been around so long, and I have been.
I've never been to a chin show, and the two seem so different in some respects.
I know the line of dog breeds are taken into account but it's the owner who wins and even if he hires someone else to parade the dog, the owners wear their peacock feathers like they did all the work. The Truth is they just fed the dog.
Others can breed it,train it and groom it, but the owner gets rewarded for buying the best????????? :doh:
Thanks all, yes my friend and I are beating this one to death.
We're still friends though ;)
Debbie.nl.ca

KCchins

• Kansas City Chinchillas
  • Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
    • Kansas City Chinchillas
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2006, 04:34:23 PM »

I definitely agree with Jo Anne here.  Rules for chin shows are different than dog shows.  Rules for chins shows state that the breeder of the chin receives credit for breeding the chin.  The person who shows the chin gets awards if they are earned but the breeder should always receive credit. 

Dog shows rules are different and the shows are judged differently. 
---Cathy

I have chins available.
e-mail me KCchins@msn.com if interested.
Pages: [1]   Go Up