Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: a salt and mineral wheel?  (Read 3670 times)

sarahlydear

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
a salt and mineral wheel?
« on: August 02, 2010, 05:15:40 PM »

Ive seen salt and mineral wheels for chins at several diffrent places but I'm a tad paranoid about what i feed him from the store (Ive heard to much about how certain items can actually be harmful to your chin in the long run) and I'm wondering if these would be something to look into getting. i had them for my rabbits and have them for my horses so i figured they be OK. I'm more wondering about the salt wheel, do chins need(or even like) salt? also any tips on what treats i can give him from the store, my mom really wants to buy him something special for when she has to watch him because im gone. right now he gets a mix up of dried dandelion leaves, raisins and apple horse treats.

Tiffany's Chinchillas

• Tiffany's Chinchillas
  • Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 3
  • # of Chins: 175+
    • View Profile
    • Tiffany's Chinchillas
Re: a salt and mineral wheel?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 09:19:55 PM »

No, chinchillas do not need salt or mineral wheels. Nor do they need to be overloaded with treats. I do not purchase any treats at pet stores - stick to dried rosehips, cheerios, shredded wheats, apple sticks and oats. Treats are to be used in MODERATION.
Tiffany's Chinchillas
Breeding for Quality, not Quantity
www.tiffanyschinchillas.com

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 09:23:08 PM »

hey tiffy tiffy.. nice to see you here....

not sure where you live, but i'm sure pet stores are the same all over, just about 99% of their items are not chinny safe, even tho they say chinny safe...

as for food, some of them will sell oxbow chinchilla delux and mazuri which are both good quality feeds, anything else they have is garbage. 

if you need a place to shop, i'm in the usa and my link below is to a webstore with lots of items.. if all goes well, i plan on expanding..

jean
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)

Tiffany's Chinchillas

• Tiffany's Chinchillas
  • Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 3
  • # of Chins: 175+
    • View Profile
    • Tiffany's Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 09:43:39 PM »

hey tiffy tiffy.. nice to see you here....

Hey Jean :) I drop by on occasion ;-)
Tiffany's Chinchillas
Breeding for Quality, not Quantity
www.tiffanyschinchillas.com

sarahlydear

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 11:12:00 AM »

thanks y'all, right now i am feeding him mazuri, even though its an hour away, but thanks! i was actually thinking it might be worth the gas money to switch him over to something closer but nevermind! i will check your site though.

i do try to keep everything in moderation but i wont lie every now and then he figures out how to open the treat container, little stinker :P what i meant by mixture is i mix it up from day to day, one day he may get a raisin, the next dandelion leaves.

as i said I've been pretty paranoid so all I've been buying from pet stores has been like wood ledges, a few hanging wooden bird toys(not treated and no plastic or glue what so ever), and a few choice well looked into toys(same standards). the one thing i do have but am sincerely trying to get ride of is a plastic wheel, but he just loves it so much i cant take it out of his cage so any ideas where i can get a non plastic on to replace it? I've heard its not good for them(after i got it) but he REALLY REALLY loves it, like its his favortie thing in his cage, minus his splenda sleeping box. so help?

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 04:51:33 PM »

not to sound like a broken record, i also have access to quality cages chin spins.. they are great wheels.. expensive, but all quality wheels are, and they are worth every penny..

you can always try ebay or craiglist for a used one.. you can also use a ed spin, flying saucer.
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
Pages: [1]   Go Up