Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hair ring fail.  (Read 2303 times)

Awesomeawkwardness

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Hair ring fail.
« on: July 28, 2010, 05:06:40 PM »

I attempted to do a hair ring check the other day for the first time, I'm a new chinchilla owner and unfortunately it didn't go so well.
I've watched videos and read instructions, but for some reason I couldn't get his penis out, and whenever I would get it part way out of the sheath I could never get it out enough to check for a hair ring.

What I did see seemed a little red and swollen, but he doesn't seem to be having any problems or even cleaning himself.

I'm also afraid that I hurt him and I'm scared to try again, I was careful but he wouldn't have a whole lot to do with me for a day or so after that, he also just laid around.

Can I please get someone to give me some help, some detailed instructions, or advice.

Courtney

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Hair ring fail.
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 01:05:57 AM »

If it's red you may need to take him to the vets. What you can use to pull it back is ky jelly or bag balm, that way it kind of slips out and doesn't hurt him. Wrap him in a towe, get the KY jelly/bag balm on your finger tips and gently pull back, it should come out. Wraping them in a towel helps, as it seems to calm them down. When you are done make sure to put the penis back in or he will get an infection. If he has a hair ring gently pull it off, if you can't get it you might have to use tweezers. But if it's red something might be wrong and a vet check is necessary.
Six Chinchillas<br />Two Jack Russell Terriers<br />Two Parrots<br />Four Fish Tanks

heiwa

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 11:14:54 AM »

You do it by yourself or someone is helping??

I think done the hair ring check by two people is better than only one people.
That's one holding the chin and the other one do the checking.
The main point Courtney had already mention, just one more advice is when the penis slowly shift back into the sheath, make sure the surrounding fur should not have rolled in together with the penis.

P.S. Hair ring checking is essential for a male chin, especially when the chin have a female cagemate. Don't be affraid of such checking, practice make perfect!!

Awesomeawkwardness

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 01:30:36 PM »

You do it by yourself or someone is helping??

I think done the hair ring check by two people is better than only one people.
That's one holding the chin and the other one do the checking.
The main point Courtney had already mention, just one more advice is when the penis slowly shift back into the sheath, make sure the surrounding fur should not have rolled in together with the penis.

P.S. Hair ring checking is essential for a male chin, especially when the chin have a female cagemate. Don't be affraid of such checking, practice make perfect!!
I had another person helping.
I have no problem getting it back in, and I made sure to be careful with the surrounding hair. I just had trouble getting it out, I'm not sure if I wasn't doing it right or what. >_< And I can never really find any specific instructions, most have often been very vague.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 07:17:36 PM »

I have always done them myself, and the towel is the key. ::nod::
If you wrap him snug like you would a new born baby you will have much better control. They do seem to feel more much secure and seem to tolerate it a lot easier.
You should also be able to see through the sheath and can quite often see the hair ring with out pulling it back.
Debbie.nl.ca

Awesomeawkwardness

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 01:15:48 PM »

I tried again today, managed to get quite a bit out to check, I'm starting to think maybe he's just small? ::shrug::
But he's not red anymore he seems pretty normal. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up